2005 Butt-Ugly Mustang

Ford really helped GM by bringing out this ugly Mustang. The new Pontiac GTO greatly outclasses the retro Mustang.

One Who Knows

Reply to
Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer

greatly outclasses the retro Mustang.

Come back at the end of the year when the year end sales figures are out, and tell us that again! I'd be willing to bet the Mustang out sells the GTO, just like it out sold the butt ugly Camaro. At least Ford stayed with the Mustang body lines, and not re-badge some other piece of crap to help sell them.

Gary

Reply to
GEB

Trolling?

greatly outclasses the retro Mustang.

Reply to
p51d007

greatly outclasses the retro Mustang.

Reply to
Wound Up

greatly outclasses the retro Mustang.

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

More likely. I think my comparison is silly. I should have thought of better examples. Oh well, I'm too apathetic to be very clever.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting damned tired of all these "05 Mustang styling" threads. OK, we get it; some like it, some don't. Another loser tries to start a flame war. What fun.

Hardware excluded, I still look at that silver GTO every s> One who just bought the WRONG make and model and is taking it out on

greatly outclasses the retro Mustang.

Reply to
Wound Up

A most astute reply GEB. The end of year sales figures will be most telling. As for Trolling, the only trolling I do is in the local lake for trout and I am not very good at it. Expressing an opinion is not trolling gentleman. I own two older Mustangs that are my pride and joy.

One Who Knows

Reply to
Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer

No Way, Jose -

I find 400HP way more exciting than 300HP. ;)

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Once a GM executive called the original Mustang a "Hamtramck Falcon" ( which was not a compliment BTW) Needless to say, he wasn't laughing very long was he? If you don't like the styling then bully for you. It is purely subjective, like you arguing about what my favourite colour is. Regardless of whether you like it or not, it will still be my favourite colour now won't it?

I for one am glad it isn't just another melted bar of soap like so many other "sport coupes". It actually looks like a Mustang. Just about any Japanese car's styling puts me to sleep.

If I have one criticism to level at the new Mustang's styling is that they didn't put a "coke bottle" bulge on the rear fender. I like cars to have a delineation there to give them a broader shouldered look. Well Ford will need to do things in future years to "update(?)" the looks so maybe I'll get my wish.

As for the GTO. Best Grand Am I've ever seen. Too bad no secretaries will buy one to keep the sales figures healthy. Maybe Pontiac can slag some tacky body cladding on it. Yawn. StuK

outclasses the retro Mustang.

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Reply to
Wound Up

Reply to
Wound Up

Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@mail.cypherpunks.to:

I suggest more time boning up on how to reply to posts in-thread.

Yes, the sales figures WILL tell... and the results will dismay you.

The thing is classic! I was a potential customer when the FIRST mustang was introduced and I thought it was funny looking.... I considered the 65 Nova to be the best styled.

But I soon grew to like it a LOT.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

You rang? Because I find it hard to believe that anyone could prefer an '05 Mustang to a 400 hp, IRS Goat.

Oh Mandy, you came and you gave without taking, but I sent you away. Oh, Mandy, you kissed me and stopped me from shaking, and I need you today. Oh, Mandy!

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

Are you comparing apples to apples as far as year/model? I assume, like Road & Track in July, you would compare the top-performing Mustang with Pontiac's top performer:

2004 Mustang Cobra: 390 hp, 390 lbs torque, 3664 lbs 2004 Pontiac GTO: 350 hp, 365 lbs torque, 3725 lbs

So... using the figures above, it is easy to see why Road & Track found the Mustang Cobra to be the better performer. Now, to compare next-gen cars, yeah, we can compare Fords' best, Mustang GT, to the GTO, or we can compare what we think the next Cobra will do. What's cool is the new GT is not far off on the 0-60 and 1/4 mile compared to last years' Cobra. Note: the 2005 GTO is not available until December/January.

2005 Mustang GT: 300hp,320lbs torque, 3483 lbs 2005 Pontiac GTO: 400hp, 400 lbs torque, 3765 lbs
Reply to
Scotter

I would. You couldn't give me a GTO, well I'd accept and then sell it. I'd take a 300 horse Mustang over a 400 horse "Grand Am" any day. It's not all about the horsepower, style has allot to do with my purchase decisions. I wouldn't even own a Corvette nor a Viper, neither one does a thing for me visually. On the other hand, I already own a 400 horse Mustang so a 400 horse GTO means nothing to me.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Latest rumor on the to be '07 SVT Cobra is it will use the 5.4L with the Whipple twin screw developed for the shelved next gen Lightning rated at 450 to 500 horses, YeeHaw!

Reply to
WraithCobra

Well 180, I guess it just has to be a function of advancing age that makes you think that way. It must be more accepted as a "mature" ride at the club (golf, not dance). An independent rear suspension must be easier on the ol' back, and the bigger seats must be better for the widening posterior. ;)

And where is the 400hp coming from? I thought it had 350, from the next-gen LS1... I don't doubt you, I've just always seen 350.

I saw the C&D Mustang GT road test today, and the 300-hp Mustang beats the GTO 0-60 and 1/4-mile. I'm not the stat geek type but the recent discussion came to mind as I waited for a haircut today. Yeah, that's just one thing it does better, but for all the hype... it disappointed me. The GTO should, IMO, beat the Mustang, especially considering the premium in price.

The six-speed stick actually costs $700 MORE than the auto? What a rip, man!!! I know Tremecs aren't cheap (I have a TR-3550) but come ON!!! When did that ever happen? Read - "the auto is taxicab crap, and you have to pay guzzler tax, so you're screwed either way". Nice typical GM job there...

You just couldn't resist, could you... NOR CAN I

Her name is Lola, she was a showgirl But that was thirty years ago, when they used to have a show Now it's a disco, but not for Lola Still in the dress she used to wear, faded feathers in her hair She sits there so refined, and drinks herself half-blind She lost her youth and she lost her Tony Now she's lost her mind!

At the Copa, Copacabana The hottest spot north of Havana At the Copa, Copacabana Music and passion were always the fashion At the Copa .... don't fall in love With the GTO...

Reply to
Wound Up

Um, yeah. ;) But you're confused - I'm not talking about the Cobra.

That's not what I'm talking about, either.

The 2005 GTO will have the new LS2 engine (same as the 2005 Corvette). It's rated at 400HP.

I wonder if there's any correlation between your confusion over the topic and your top-posting... ;)

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

Assuming SVT survives until 2007...

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

I know. I'm being a shit.

Naw. I've seen 350 hp for the GTO. New engine for new model year, I suppose. I post in-text, top and bottom, depending upon what I see first.

Reply to
Wound Up