2005 Mustang Experiance

While on vacation last week I rented a 2005 Mustang convert from Hertz - V6, Auto, basic car. I drove about 1200 miles around the state of Washington in a variety of conditions. Only a few short stretches of highway miles, though. Last year I rented a 2004 Mustang convert to cruise around northern california, so I have a fair point of reference. FWIW, here are my thoughts about this new car:

  1. Power: Not enough. The 4.0l V6 was actually quite good, much better than the
3.8l. Plenty of power for general driving and sightseeing. Would probably be a bit better with a 5 or 6 speed. But there was just a time or two when I was wishing for additional power when surrounding traffic did stupid stuff.

  1. Transmission: The new 5 speed is excellent. It shift seamlessly under just about all throttle conditions and terrain. It's very quick. It would be a tough call between stick and auto, both have significant advantages. Again, a significant improvement over the 4 speed auto.

  2. Ride: Not bad. Again, for general driving the stock wheels, tires, and suspension would be just fine. Hard mountain driving would require some upgrades, though. And don't even consider taking this car on the track as is.

  1. Brakes: Very good. Not up to open track or autocross standards. But much better than many other street cars I've driven.

  2. Interior: Comfortable. Once you get the seat right, you can sit there for a long time. A little noisy on rough pavement or concrete, lots of tire noise. But that is probably made worse by the drop top. There's a definite lack of storage compartments. The seats could really use some map pockets in the backs.

  1. Drop Top: Very easy to use, takes less than a minute to go up or down. But the top of the windshield is only a few inches from the bill of my hat. When you're driving, you don't really get the feel of an open car. My Cobra has a windshield that's much further foreward, and is only raked 46*; so that car really feels like an open car. You just don't get that with the Mustang. Cowl shake was noticeable on irregular pavement. It's noisy. And the lines just don't look as good. IMO, the drop top just isn't worth it.

  2. Economy: Excellent. We got about 25mpg. No matter how you look at it, that's pretty good for a car this big that performs this well.

Bottom Line: I gotta have one! I love this car. The styling makes my heart go pitter pat, especially the 4 headlight front end. There are a couple of small styling/cosmetic changes I'd like to make, but not much. So here's my plan. In another 1-2 years, I'll look for a used 2005-2006 hard top, V6, Auto. The options list is pretty short, the only thing I really want is the upgraded dash gauges (but I can add those). Everything else I'll want to upgrade with aftermarket anyway. The additional front head lights are an easy install. The engine makes 210hp (the 4.6 makes 300). But I live at 6,500ft, and often drive to 11,000 ft. You lose about 3% per thousand feet; so figure about 20% just for altitude. Now you're making 168hp (240 for the V8). Adding long tube headers, an intercooled blower, and a custom computer program will easily increase power 50% (conservatively) and probably more. And that's a

50% improvement over the baseline numbers at sea level! So you gain the 20% lost, AND add the additional 50%. Now the lowly V6 is making 315hp, 75hp more than the stock GT V8! V6 car is lighter, cheaper, handles better, is more efficient, and is cheaper to register and insure. Even with the engine upgrades, it's still a tad cheaper than a GT. Wouldn't it be fun to have a V6 that turns 12's? The suspension will need some upgrades, but not much at all. I have another car for the track, so don't need to get radical about it. Some good 17" tires and big sway bars will be plenty.

This is gonna be fun.

Reply to
.boB

Well to see just what kind of fun you can have with the new V6 automatic, you can take a look at my webpage which details all the fun I'm having! LOL!

John S.

Cool!

Reply to
.boB

Bob,

I've owned both the 2005 V-6 auto and currently own the 2005 V-8 GT 5-spd manual. Both cars perform well. My biggest problem with the V-6 was the "Whoooom" when undergoing hard acceleration and resulting lack of performance I'd expect from a performance car--the car seemed to often be seeking air.

Your analysis of the HP is well thought. Although, I'd think about the cost of the V-6 intercooler vs GT. My GT insurance didn't increase over a few $$ per month vs the V-6.

The 2005 V-6 does not have the 4 headlight configuration, this was GT only decision by Ford, the new 2006 V-6 has the 4 light option--2 large headlights and 2 smaller driving lights in the inner portion of the grill. I agree the 5 spd is excellent, although I would have liked to have a 6-spd option on the GT. I currently drive a manual 5-spd.

Interior is very comfortable, I liked the cloth but currently have the leather option.

Ride-- have driven the GT on Colorado mountain roads and it's performed flawlessly. Autocross--good not outstanding handling. Currently live in Texas and in the "hills" here the car performs well.

In a few years, I'd recommend purchasing a GT and then doing the performance upgrades. Current magazines have Mustang GT with intercooler superchargers turning in the low 10s.

Mike Osborn

1984 Porsche 911 2005 Mustang GT

Reply to
Mike

I agree. FDefinatly needs mor Oomph.

Mostly, I think it would be fun to do. The used cars are considerably cheaper than the GT's, and much more plentifull in good condition.

The four headlights on the GT are one of the best exterior features, IMO. My favorite Mustang of all time was the '69 - with 4 round headlights. Until now, I think that was the only Mustang ever made like that. Fortunatly, the GT driving light kit is available over the counter, and only takes a couple of hours to install. I was really surpised that the T56 was not avilable last year or this. It would seem to be a no brainer. I was also quite surpised at the shifting of the auto. I've never driven an auto this good before.

And I think the leather seats have better side bolsters. The cloth ones didn't have very god lateral support in hard corners.

The GT has a much better suspension that the V6 - sway bars, better springs, better wheels and tires. But - like I said - I'd want to upgrade to aftermarket parts anyway, so that's no great loss.

Have you heard that Carrol Shelby has stolen my idea? Shelby has just announced the new CS 6. It's a hot rod version of the '06 V6 Mustang. It has - drum roll please - ..........A blower! And some other go fast goodies like.... better wheels and tires, sway bars, better springs. I think I'm going to call him on this one. I don't want any royalties, or even design credit. But a free car would be nice. Do you think ol Shel will go for that? :)

Reply to
.boB

The new V6 really benefits from a new "tune".... The stock tune really hampers the peformance of this car, especially the automatic.... terrible throttle response from a dead stop, shifting that is to soft, and don't even think about trying to spin the tire! LOL! A good $400 tune will take car of these...

I like the looks of the CS6 Shebly... but dang the price tag! LOL! Does however give me some new ideas for mine! LOL!

I'm guessing by spring we'll have some interesting options for the V6 on the FI front... Explorer Express should have their Eaton kit out... there should be both a single and twin tubo kit out... and I imagine at least one more centrifugal blower out...

Reply to
John S.

Well, it's certainly not cheap. They want $15k for the kit and then there's the labour involved to install it on your car. So figure about $40k for the car all-in, I would imagine.

That's a LOT of $$$ for a 350hp Mustang unless you're just in it for the collectibility or the Shelby eye candy. If you are into the eye candy, you could always buy the cheaper appearance package for $5500 and apply that to a GT + a supercharger for a substantially faster ride at a lower price point.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz