2005 Mustang GT Rattle

Hi,

I've got an intermittant rattle in my '05 GT. It seems to be coming from the front dash - either behind the center left air conditioning vent, or the speedometer.

It doesn't rattle every time I drive it, but I hear it every day. Most commonly, it starts rattling around 1900 RPM, but only while in drive.

I've had it to the dealer 3 times, and it was perfectly quiet all 3 times (the last time, I took the shop foreman for a 45 minute ride and we couldn't hear it.)

Anyone else experience this?

Reply to
Steve

Does it only happen when the Heater/AC fan is on ? It could be something inside the vent On both my Cobra AND our F250 the foam insulation that is supposed to seal something inside the vent came loose (though both vehicles are much older than yours) and it caused a weird rattling sound.

Just a thought.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Thanks Kate,

Unfortunately, I hear it regardless of Heater/AC setting (on, off, high, low, etc.)

Reply to
Steve

I had a catalytic converter do that to me one time. At the time, it was pretty hard to pinpoint.

Reply to
Kruse

from Áthe front dash - either behind the center left air conditioning vent, or the speedometer.It doesn't rattle every time I drive it, but I hear it every day. Most ÿcommonly, it starts rattling around 1900 RPM, but only while in drive.ÿÿI've had it to the dealer 3 times, and it was perfectly quiet all 3 times 9(the last time, I took the shop foreman for a 45 minute ride and we couldn't

Reply to
Ken Zwyers

Don't hold your breath, cars develop more squeaks and rattles, with use, NOT less.

Reply to
Another Made Up Name

Reply to
Tony Alonso

Reply to
Tony Alonso

Damn! I wish it would have been soemthing that simple. Good luck to you Steve!

Reply to
Kate

"Kruse" wrote : : I had a catalytic converter do that to me one time. At the time, it was : pretty hard to pinpoint.

Oh! That's true and a very good suggestion!

Reply to
Kate

"Another Made Up Name" wrote : : Don't hold your breath, cars develop more squeaks and rattles, with use, NOT : less. : I think the worst thing that ever happened on mine was a plastic shopping bag got snagged on my CAT. I didn't realize it and the car started smelling bad. I was certain that I was facing an eminent meltdown and hurried to the dealership with it all shook up that my baby might be burning down. We all got a good laugh out of it and they scraped most of it off for me at no charge.

Kate

2O|||||||6 Rubicon
Reply to
Kate

Excellent. Thanks Tony, this looks like a strong possibility. I'll take it with me to the dealer.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Thanks. That could also be it. I've noticed that it seems worse when the interior of the car is cold. But I've got almost an hour drive to get to the dealer, so by the time I got there, the car was always warmed up and the rattle was silent.

Steve

I thought it said Raffle and I was ready to buy a ticket.....

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I did have the same problem on my 2006 Mustang GT. Rattling at 1900 RPM, worse when cold, A/C on or off, in gear or not (I have a manual). I had to take it to two dealers before I got it fixed. The issue is a X bracing underneath the car. It took about a week to get the part, but once replaced the noise was GONE. The dealer disassembled almost the entire interior before looking underneath as I told him to do.

Paolo

Reply to
bellutta

I did have the same problem on my 2006 Mustang GT. Rattling at 1900 RPM, worse when cold, A/C on or off, in gear or not (I have a manual). I had to take it to two dealers before I got it fixed. The issue is a X bracing underneath the car. It took about a week to get the part, but once replaced the noise was GONE. The dealer disassembled almost the entire interior before looking underneath as I told him to do.

Paolo

Reply to
bellutta

Thanks.

Reply to
Steve

I just got my '05 GT back from the shop. They had worked on a door and dash rattle previously--wasn't able to fix the rattle. This time, when I brought it in, I mentioned the Texas "Lemon Law"...3 attempts at repair can't be fixed, the 4th time they have to purchase the car back. The advantage of this law is the problem doesn;t have to relate to a safety issue...devaluation of the car is also a reason.

They immediately found one ratle as the right A/C vent--replaced. They then worked at the rest of the rattles for 3 days, had me come in today to road test with the service manager. I took it over some rough roads and road stripe bumps, the car is as tight as the day I first brought it home.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks Mike.

I had them perform the TSB, but it didn't stop the rattle. Need to schedule yet another trip back.

Reply to
Steve