2005 Mustang... jeez

I hated that damn thing when I saw pics... then I saw the real deal & I hated it even more. But the more I look at it... the more I like it. However, that interior is going to take a while to grow on me. That is

*hideous* I think. Exterior is starting to look good though...

Just thought I'd share.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors
Reply to
<memset

Hey Mike/All,

I am a quiet lurker from Canada checking out all the stuff you guys discuss in here. You seem like a good bunch! Except for the odd tiff ;-)..........I have a 1985 Mustang GT which is a gradual restoration. I love Stangs!

Anyhow, like you Mike, at first I wasn't overly taken by the 2005 GT but then I started really looking at the pictures and reading about it and it's actually starting to look good to me. Up here in Canada we are still waiting for them to make an appearance at dealers. Infact just a few days ago I booked my buddy(94 Stang GT owner) and I into a wine and cheese at a dealership not too far for an official unveiling of the new stallion. But who cares about the wine and cheese. The guy told me they would have 3 Stangs plated and ready to try. So we are pretty eager. My buddy really wants to get one so he was pretty happy when I told him we were booked.

I am anxious to see it up close and personal, maybe that is what will totally sell me on it!

So all, I will be posting more and more cause I really enjoy coming in here.

Everybody have a good day!

Steph

Reply to
Steph

Reply to
cobra boy

It's probably the best production Mustang ever made. And even though I haven't sat in one yet, I think the interior is awesome. It's very reminiscent of the '67.

"cobra boy" wrote in news:Rgrid.1796$Re1.250@trndny05:

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
cobra boy

I'll need to experience one first hand, but there are some things that should be updated a little more. The dash is a little too retro for my tastes, and I'm concerned about the gauges. The ones I saw in the prototype looked to be hard to read. I hope they've fixed that since the prototype.

Maybe I'll go find one to sit in this weekend.

JS

Reply to
JS

The South Florida International Auto Show is this week through next weekend. Sounds like a good opportunity for me to go check one out. BTW, I love the retro.

"JS" wrote in news:weCid.756$Zb3.619@trndny07:

Reply to
Joe

I love the rest of the car. Someone else here had the idea to take the V6 model without the shelby-style driving lights and put the tri-bar pony in the grille like the '67's. Great idea. Let me know how you like the interior, and how bad the gauges are to read if you remember...

JS

Reply to
JS

Will do. I'll be sure to take the digi camera too.

"JS" wrote in news:uCCid.306$iZ2.93@trndny08:

Reply to
Joe

When it's running, the guages are always lit.

Reply to
Quiet Desperation

Reply to
cobra boy

JS,

The speedo and tach are just okay, but the other gauges a shoved between those two and don't really catch your eye like gauges should. If I was Ford, I'd redesign the gauges. I'd keep the chrome rings, but I'd flatten the speedo and tach (they're sort of barrel shaped), and I'd reposition and enlarge the other gauges. Overall, I'd give the current setup a score of 3 out of 10.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

My '72 had those "barrel" gauges. And the overall line of the dash, as well as the fonts used on the gauge faces, are straight out of a '68. In short, if they redesigned the gauges, they'd no longer be retro.

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

I'd like to see them make it a little less retro. Mankind has made it to the 21st century. While I love the older cars and would love to have a '67 FB, I think that sometimes by looking back, we avoid moving forward.

I like the design of the car... classic elements with new. The dash seems out of place to me though. I'd actually keep the '94-04 dash in favor of it.

JS

Reply to
JS

"JS" wrote in news:YVkjd.2200$Zl2.2097@trndny01:

I don't know. I sat in one last night and I think the dash is perfect. Fits the car perfectly.

Joe

I agree. I hope SVT plans to replace the gauges completely. They are ugly and almost useless as far as I'm concerned. This is retro taken too far.

Reply to
Dan

So how would you like them to make it look? Like a Camaro, Vette, Toyota, or Honda??? What do you think a Mustang should look like? The Mustang has a style of it's own, which has been copied by just about every auto maker. Personally, from all the photos I've seen, I think they did a great job of bringing back memories of a car that some us that were fortunate to own back then. I've owned a 65 & a 66 FB in my younger days, and loved both of them. I wish I still had them.

Gary

Reply to
GEB

There are enough rice rockets out there. Ford did the people who BUY mustangs a great service by NOT making them look like every other foreign car out there on the market. If that is what you want, don't buy a Mustang. Those of us who are Mustang fans, like the way the Mustangs look. They ALMOST screwed it up in 89, when what became the ford probe, was rumored to be the new mazdaTANG (it was built by mazda). Front wheel drive is NOT a Mustang, not to mention a wedge shape. Mustangs have long hoods, short rear decks, no back seat room(LOL) on purpose. If you have to ask, then you wouldn't understand.

Reply to
p51d007

I've owned about 15 or 16 Fox-based Mustangs (from '84 4-cyl autos to my '97 Cobra). I know what runs in the blood. I know they're RWD cars. (I also owned an '89 Probe, and while a decent car and miles beyond the Fox in terms of handling, nowhere near what a Mustang should be).

My point is that you can only retro so much, and you can reminisce to a point, until you stop going forward and keep looking backward.

I think they did an excellent job with the exterior. It has hints of the old cars, but with the aerodynamics and styling of a newer car. I didn't care much for the old interiors, but I'd get over it because the car was old. I think they should have gone with something a little different in the interior section. Maybe I'll change my mind when I sit in one, but every pic I've seen turned my stomach.

My other point on retro is, what's next? After this platform is gone, what do we build? A modified Fox? A retro to the "retro" styled SN-95 cars? Sometimes we have to look to the future...

As far as the "those of us who are Mustang fans" comment... I'm a huge fan, but there are things I don't like about them, as they have plenty of shortcomings.

JS

Reply to
JS

Perhaps a faux "hot rod" styled loosely after the Model A. Oh, nevermind . . . the Prowler was already a failure. ;)

-- Jim

Reply to
Jim J