2006 Mustang GT wont break traction.

Don't be so "pompous"! You are posting BULLSHIT.

If your traction control is NOT function correctly, you better take it in and have it repaired.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

I don't know who is talking about what here........... I've got a 5 speed 06 Mustang GT and I can make it do whatever I want. Smoke em in first and get a nice bark in second....traction control or not. The traction control does kick in and help straighten me out in the rain. Period, end of story!

Reply to
The MadMan

This is EXACTLY how my 2005 GT automatic works. I can stomp the accelerator from a stop and it will squeal the tires, start moving out VERY QUICKLY and when it shifts into second, it really starts accelerating. In the rain, on wet pavement, if I do the same thing, the back end will break lose, I'll start sliding sideways, then the car will slightly break (almost imperceptible) and the back end corrects itself. ( I believe this is the purpose of traction control)

I'm not sure what the guy who's driven so many mustangs is talking about, I've driven mine for 15,000 miles, (yeah I know, almost worn it out) and it's performed this way since it was new. "IRONICALLY" the traction control works just exactly like it did on my 2002 and just exactly like it does on my F250 Superduty.

Now, I'm not about to call anybody a "liar" but I know what I own, (not what I've tried when I test drove them) and I can tell you, as an owner of multiple mustangs with traction control and other Ford vehicles with the feature, one can chirp/squeal the tires even with the traction control engaged, disengage it (turn it off- the "little light comes on) and it's even more fun to squeal em because they squeal louder and longer :)

So there, I second your comments, MadMan :)

Reply to
nobody

My experiences with my previous mustang, a 2002 V6 and with my current mustang, a 2005 GT are exactly the opposite of your 4 different attempts. If, in standing/running water I mashed the throttle to the floor, I'd have spinning tires, rapid accelleration and fishtailing going on with some real concern about the tail-end "outrunning" the front-end. Mustang's "ain't" 4 wheel drives (talk to Kate about that, she's had both) and they don't behave as you describe in any of my real life experiences as an "owner/operator" of the mustang lineup.

Reply to
nobody

WTF is this?!!!

HE SAID quote: This is with the traction control off.. It is really very disappointing that with the traction control off, the car wont spin the tires from a stand still on dry pavement.

"My Names Nobody" wrote:

You posted how many messages about him having traction control and that wont allow it... when he said he had it 'off'.

WE KNOW with Traction Cont on, it wont spin the tires!!!

BUT I believe John S had it right... and it's TORQUE control that prevents it.

Is THAT what you meant? TWO associated but different things!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Ya know that when the indicator light is on.. the trac control is off....

Reply to
Jafo

I'm not sure what the heck he meant. He "attacked" me about the price of tires when I posted a website which sells the OEM tires for $99. He did the same when I simply reported that my personal experience with my '05 GT is that it WILL spin the tires. He all but called me a liar. When I asked where he based his experience, he called me "pompous" and said that my experiences were "bull*hit" I can substantiate my ownership of the first 05 GT in Alexandria, LA, and my reports on this thread are valid, personal encounters with my vehicle. To my knowledge, when I asked him upon what he bases his experiences, this gentleman has not substantiated that he even owns or operates a Mustang. I'd like to think he has some valid points, but he keeps focusing on the operation of a traction control system which is not the point of Erimikos' question. As such, he's about to become a member of the "kill file" and his future contributions, valid, entertaining or valuable will be lost to "posterity" for future generations to discover

Reply to
nobody

EXACTLY, Jafo... That's how my traction control switch operates. When it's "ON" the light is off, when the traction control is "OFF" the light is on... MOF, the light spells "OFF"

BTW, please don't get " snipped-for-privacy@myhouse.com" confused with " snipped-for-privacy@msn.com" He ain't me. I own the '05 GT and my wheels spin. I don't have any idea who he is....

Hmmmm Might be time to change my name just to keep the confusion level down... I sure as heck don't want to be confused with this gentleman !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
nobody

He's not posting bulls&*$. Not a 2006 GT but I have an 04 Mach 1 and I can easily spin the tires with the Traction Control ON.

Reply to
Mrs Ken Ehrett

It uses the differential speed of the front tires (using ABS sensor input) to infer that the car is yawing when you break the back tires loose. No differential speed (there is a trip point of some level) detected, it means the car is straight and in control. Assuming you start from a straight ahead position of course. Go test drive another 06 GT and see what it does.

Reply to
HerkyJerky

As quoted by Krusty, "WE KNOW with Traction Cont on, it wont spin the tires!!!"

Wrong answer.......should read, "WE KNOW with Traction Cont on or off, it better spin the tires!!!"

If not, return to your dealer!! Unless you are talking about the GT wannabee V6.

That's the bottom line....no question.....I've driven several.....I own one.....and have several friends driving them. We all can smoke the tires in first gear - manual and automatic.

Reply to
The MadMan

I'm not real sure who this "expert" about mustangs is. He reported that he "drove 4 of them" and he tells me that "my mustang is broken because it squeals tires" and as an owner of multiple mustangs (now thats a unique term), all of which have squealed tires, I can assure you, as you've just done, that mustangs are designed to burn rubber and make noise. It's inherent in the "species"

if Erimikos' mustang won't squeal tires, my "ownership" experience tells me to advise him to seek warantee work because his mustang doesn't squeal tires and that is a problem.

I know, I know, in this day of $3.00 a gallon gas, we ought to be more "fuel efficient" but we also should eat less fat, stop smoking, reduce our stress,,, they all are "nice' but squealing tires sometimes helps do all those things :))

Reply to
nobody

I think you've got it, HerkyJerky. That's exactly what it does, it senses yaw and attempts to correct for it. It doesn't prevent anything, just helps to control negative yaw situations. Unfortunately it can't stop fishtailing, tire spin or "out of control" situations. it only helps to reduce the potential for them.

If you "punch the accelerator" on a wet road, hold it to the floor, the back end is going to start moving left or right and if you start correcting for this, and overcorrect, you'll start having directional control problems. if you aren't "super skilled in driving, and don't let off the accelerator, you are going to be in trouble. Traction control will NOT keep you from spinning tires nor will it keep you going in a straight line. It helps but will NOT prevent a problem. At least that's my experience in every vehicle I've had with the feature. It helps, but you have to also have some "common sense" and "drivability" (driving capability) to prevent a negative situation if you're "STOOPID" behind the wheel. Traction control won't stop tire spin and it's NOT the problem Erimikos is having. Probably, his GT is functioning normally and he just hasn't yet really "punched it" so he hasn't reached its potential. I'd advise him not to push it too far until a few thousand miles is on the drivetrain, but after that, if, when he gets down on it, if it won't break loose the rear tires, he does need to take it back and tell the service manager it has no balls. BUT,,, till it has a bit of time to "wear in" I'd suggest he not dog it too much.

Reply to
nobody

Probably all tire related. When I got new tires last for my 89 it had good traction with no spin. Now that this set is worn down you can spin tires very easily. Fred

Reply to
Fred V.

I have on '01 GT 5-speed, and I don't have a bit of a problem hearing a little squeal when I want to, regardless of te traction control setting at the time. Ken

Reply to
Amy Andrews

My 89 was the same way until I added 3.73 gears, Auburn locker and 17" wheels. Then I could spin brand new tires pretty easily, even with the AOD.

Arlie

Reply to
Blue Gator

I believe that we are referring to automatic cars in the original discussion. However, let me say this, Wednesday night at the local 1/8 mile where many tuners go to test out there cars (old sunshine speedway in st pt) There were a few stock 05 & 06 gts there. Not one not break traction by just flat footing the gas. (tuned cars were a different matter) they all however would produce lots of wheel spin with just a touch of the brake pedal. However if the traction control was left on, the car would tend to jerk forward then almost stop the jerk forward again as the brake and torque converter fought to stop the wheel spin,(rather scary the first time it happens you fell like something broke underneath).By the way the best time with the 06 was 9.29 in the 1/8 average runs were in the 9.34 range. Base line non established before mods begin

Reply to
walt peifer

[ ..... ]

the 9.34 range. Base

Tell them to get their mod. money back. Off the dealers lots the 05 and 06's were easily running 14's and 15's in the 1/4 mile.

Reply to
Mrs Ken Ehrett

I've owned an 05 V-6 Auto and currently GT 5 Spd. I can and have broken traction in both.

I prefer to hop on the gas to get it up to speed and not smoke the tires--those puppies are expensive!!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

yes they can and like most of the ford cars for the past 20 years they win races in the second half of the quarter mile. a 9.36 in the 1/8 will easily allow the car to hit the mid 14's in the quarter 14.5 less 9.34 leaves 5.16 seconds to cover the second 1/8 mile which is just around 87 miles per hour

anyhow back to the original point-

1.) flat road 2.) dry pavement 3.) standing start 4.) just using the accelerator (no power braking) 5.) straight ahead (no turning to unload one side or the other) 6.) good rubber (no tire shine or other chemical)

under the above conditions the tires will NOT always break loose, you may get a brief chirp. This does not mean you have a bad running car, it is the way they are designed. However change any of the above conditions and with the traction control off the tire will spin.

Reply to
walt peifer