2006 V6 or V8 ?

GET THE V-8!

You only live once, why live with regrets related to your compromises? I'm sure you could find some creative way to finance the $6,000 difference...

I also rented a V-6, it was impressive. That is what convinced me to go in and try the V-8, now that is much more impressive...

Good Luck and enjoy your new GT...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

I just rented a 2006 Mustang convertible from Hertz with the V6 and I really like the car.

I've been wanting a 'stang for a long time and now that I'm approaching retirement age, the time has come. Yep, another grey haired old fart clogging the highways :)

I rented the car for a few days to see how I like it.

So anyway, cars are my passion and I have always been a Chevy man with my current ride a 96 Impala SS. I do all my own work BTW and my SS has more than a few aftermarket parts.

So anyway, I am in a quandary as to which way I should go with my Mustang purchase.

Option 1: Go with the GT and most of the toys.

Option 2: Go with the convertible and the V6....

(I can't afford to go ragtop and GT, at least I don't think I can).

The rental I have has only has 700 miles on it and the V6 seems like a very strong puller but I am concerned as to the aftermarket parts situation with this motor compared to the V8.

Still, there is something really nice about the rag top and the entire driving experience. This one has the Pony Package and all the bells an whistles including larger rims/tires etc.

I keep all my cars for just about an eternity and my Impala has 370,000 miles on it and still runs strong and smooth. Original tranny and motor except for intake, water pump, some ignition stuff and cam.

So the question is what would you do?

TIA!!! Tomas

Reply to
Tomas

The 6 and the 8 are very different cars as are the stick and automatic versions.

You might also consider used, low mileage, versions of the V8, specifically the Bullitt; Cobra and Saleen.

I have a five speed manual Bullitt. Ford only made a few thousand of them. Only in 2001.

I bought mine with 600 miles on it at a very good price. This was my chance to get a stick V8.

You can search eBay.

An awesome car!

Rick

Reply to
rikoski

Go all out and get a restored '71 429 SCJ! Why settle for anything less? You only live once!!!

Reply to
nospam

K .. heres the deal. In '99 being the tender young age of 52, we did a 3 year lease on a '99 V6 Vert (couldn't afford the GT + vert, same as yourself), it was a fun car and got us back into a 'stang after being away from "CARS" for 25 or so years.

BUT after the first year I wished we'd gone the GT coupe route. As soon as the lease was up, ordered the '02 GT and have been happier than a pig in poop ever since. I plan on keeping this car a long long time, its my daily driver and track car, its my winter beater... I love the hell out of it.

Its currently undercoated, rustproofed, supercharged, lowered, subbed, chipped, methanol injected....the list goes on....complete list is here

Get the GT.

Reply to
Jafo

And your wife can only kill you once as well.

Reply to
Zombywoof

(>snip

You and I are in similar circumstances, I think. I also rented a V6 convertible and am sold on the new model. I, too, would buy a GT convertible, just as soon as I can make the numbers work.

I could go out today and buy a V6 coupe. A V6 convertible, probably no problem. I could swing a new GT, but it would take a couple of days of serious negotiation with my wife. But that extra little bit for the GT convertible seems undoable right now, and that's the car I would buy.

Also like you, I tend to hold onto the cars I like for a long time, so it's only those few years of payments that are the hold-up. But those few years will fly by, and I'd still have a really... really nice car.

If you can make the numbers work, go for what you want. I would imagine that the V6 convertible would do well for you, but you'd always be wondering what life would be like with those two extra cylinders.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Last September I bought a '98 convertible Cobra mustang triple black with

Reply to
Cobra Boy

You said yourself you keep cars for an eternity. Save up a few more bucks and get that ragtop V8. Do not spend eternity with a less desirable car.

Thanks, Scott

Tomas wrote: >

Reply to
Scott Moseman

Tomas:

I bought a 2000 V-6 Coupe in Sept of 1999. I bought it because:

  1. Cheap Transportation (,750) the GT at the time was approx k I think.
  2. I did a lot of driving for the job I do.. (IT consultant, Network Penetration Tester)

While the V-6 had decent power and pickup, I regretted not spending the extra money on the GT. I always wanted a convertible, but at that time I was working in Philadelphia and was uncomfortable having a convertible parked in the city. My situation has changed and I have a different job where I do not have to go into the city or drive nearly as often.

I too, keep cars 'forever'.. My '00 had 125,000 when I traded it in this past April. I had a '94 Explorer I bought new for a family car, sold it 12 years later with $150k..

I test drove the 2006 V-6, V-8, and the V-8 convertible.. I ended up buying the GT RagTop. The ride, power, sound, and the ragtop was well worth the extra money.. I bought GT Convertible for $31,500, sticker was $33,825

If you can afford it, you won't regret it... My $.02 is to get the GT ragtop... It's a rush every time you climb in and start it up. Gas mileage isn't too bad, according to the computer, I am getting 22 mpg, and believe me, my foot has been in the accelerator often..

Tony

2006 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Satin Silver Black Top Interior Upgrade Shaker 500 Audio Dark Charcoal Leather
Reply to
tony

Go with what you can afford and what will make you happy.

About a year ago, I really wanted a new Mustang GT Vert and used Fords build web page to build the one I wanted. I then found out that my local dealer had one on the way which was close to what I wanted so I called them and put $500.00 down on it using a credit card.

When the car arrived, the dealer called me to come work out the deal. After taking it for a test drive, I felt it was an awesome drive but not really $35,000.00 awesome. So, I let the car go and got my money back. Meanwhile, I still wanted a Mustang but wasn't willing to part with all that cash so I started looking around at used one. Mind you, I think the exterior look of the new ones is awesome but the last model still looks quite good as well. So, I ended up finding a 2002 GT Vert with only 5600 miles on it. When I checked it out, I could not believe the condition it was in. It looked just like it was showroom new and wasn't even used. We negotiated $19,000.00 for the car and I have been extremely happy with it ever since. With all the money I saved, I've been adding to the car and now, it has a 2003 Mach1 hood with the ram air scoop, Mach1 grill delete, Mach1 spoiler, Mach1 side stripes, and I painted the rear wing flat black and painted the spot between the tail lights flat black. Also added white gauges and sequential turn signals. Next, I will move onto engine mods but I am extemely happy to have found a really great car at much less money than I wanted to pay.

Rob

Reply to
Robert A. Plourde Jr.

I purchased a 2005 V-6 because of price and I'm very happy with my decision. Would the GT be better? Probably, but it didn't seem like a wise financial decision at the time. I do plan on upgrading in a year or so. The price on the V6 was right, the insurance is quite a bit cheaper, and the gas mileage is a bit better.

If this is a car you plan on keeping for a number of years, like you indicated, I'd maybe lean towards the GT myself. I knew I wanted a Mustang and I couldn't wait for a year to save up for the GT. So I'm going to sit on my V6 for 24 months. While I don't have the coolest Mustang I certainly have a much cooler car than 85% of the population.

Tomas wrote:

Reply to
wadner

Tomas

My wife and I are in very similar circumstances to you.

We considered new vs used when the 05 came out and decided on used. After a year of shopping we couldn't find one equipped as we wanted.

We are happy we waited because the pony pack was introduced in 06 and we loved it.

We only live once, and are very happy that we bought the convertible this April. It is a great, reasonably priced car. The V6 is more than enough engine for an old fart.

Whatever you decide, (GT or V6) get the convertible. You won't be disappointed.

Reply to
Bill & Gail

Save your $ a while waiting on the GT 500!

Reply to
John

True... the GT500 convertible couldn't be much more than...what...$50,000?

dwight

Reply to
dwight

For what it's worth ... take a look at this years Consumer Reports car buyers guide.

The V6 was rated poorly, reliabilty I believe. The GT rated much better.

Ace

Reply to
Ace

Not bad advice... Do not buy the V-6 for less, but end up paying 'more' long-term... Although, my 2000 v-6 5-speed coupe was very reliable over the 6.5 years I had it... The following things went wrong in it's history..

  1. Rear Engine seal leaking shortly after purchase. (warranty)
  2. Clutch at 40k, (related to rear seal).. Ford made good and replaced under warranty.
  3. Water pump gasket at 110,000
  4. Clutch at 100,000

I traded it in with about 130k on it... Still running well, although the suspension was starting to feel slightly 'loose'...

Other than that, just tires, oil, belts, and antifreeze

Reply to
tony

I'm restoring a '72 mach 1 and my wife hasn't killed me yet (but she's gettin' close!!!)

Reply to
nospam

Just one minor point, the 2000 6 isn't the same as the 05+ 6.

Reply to
Zombywoof

I've been able to get away with restoring "junk" as the wife calls it, but buying a fully restored '71 429 SCJ, if I could find one, would definitely get me homicided.

I've been years into restoring a `72 BB Vette ragtop and have to go begging & scraping every time I exceed my monthly allowance for this or that. The damn car is never going to get done at the rate I am going.

The frame & mechanicals are @ about 80%. Just need to reinstall the engine, tranny & rear-end which are all rebuilt as bullet proof. Still need to do the body work, get it painted & reassembled. Oh and new meats & rims, but since the ones I want are about $2k this year that is going to take a while too.

Reply to
Zombywoof