2010 Mustang

Doesn't show too much, but still interesting. I really curious to see what they do with the powertrain. I like to see them offer a HiPo 6- cylinder with model with about 300 or so HP to take on Hyundai's upcoming rwd pony.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Reply to
Jim Warman

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Higher fuel economy, but uses high-octane gas? I hope it's not a wash.

dwight

dwight

I don't read that Auto Channel story as saying the engine will require premium, just that it will produce 415 hp and 400 lb-ft if you use high octane. The statement that it will be a flex-fuel engine means that it can vary ignition timing and possibly cam timing and the blow- off valve according to the readouts of a knock sensor.

I read this month's Road & Track story on the rwd Hyundai pony car and as I recall it the lineup will consist of a 4 cyl and a 6 cyl; the Hyundai truck V8 won't fit. The 6 cyl version will sell for Mustang GT money. So the correct comparison for the Hyundai V6 is the Mustang V8.

The Hyundai V6 is supposed to put out about 320 hp, iirrc, and at a pretty high rpm, like 6800. The smaller displacement and the peakier hp curve will make the existing 300 hp Mustang V8 feel a lot more powerful in daily driving. And finding another 20 to 50 hp from the Ford 4.6 has never been a problem.

It sure would make no sense to have the base V6, or even an optional V6, come out with expensive turbos and direct injection and 415 hp, with the 300 hp V8 GT still in the lineup. Lincoln probably would not care much for the idea either, that it's latest technology should be available in a sub-$30,000 Mustang.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

It wouldn't make sense in these times to have an engine that uses premium only, so I take it back.

I wouldn't think that the V6 Mustang would get the TwinForce immediately, that's for sure. But, certainly, the day must come. And, given your point, it makes me wonder about the future of the V8 engine. Can't you see the day when the two options are a base V6 or the TwinForce V6 as the performance model?

dwight

Reply to
dwight

That's the way Ford marketed the Explorer in the early days. They had the base V-6, the upgrade V-6 and the V-8. Mercury Mountaineer started with the upgrade V-6 and had the V-8. It was/is the same with a number of current vehicles. So, yes, I can see the day when Mustang has a base V-6 and a TwinForce as the upgrade model.

John

Reply to
me

Ok... i realize Ford sells a lot of V6s.... but I think a V6 only Mustang will will definitely turn a lot of people off, regardless of the V6's performance... Some people just love their V8s... And not everyone can make the jump up to the GT500...

Reply to
John S.

I'd be willing to bet it'll be the 4ltr with a supercharger.

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

The 4L is supposed to be replaced with the 3.5L 6 cylinder which is a good thing. Present state the 3.5L is 265hp allready. The talk on the Lincoln is supposed to be the 3.5L twin turbo'd 400 plus hp.

Reply to
ND

Lets view this in retrospect. If what you are saying is true then it certainly wouldnt have made sense for a 4 cylinder to be turbocharged and compete against the larger 8 cylinder so effectively yet it happened, hence the SVO. The Lincoln and Mustang never had a problem dealing with hp competing internally. The 1987 Mustang had 225hp when the Lincoln Mark VII only had 175hp (1988 the Mark went to 225hp). The Mustang Cobra had 305hp when the Mark VIII had 280hp and 290hp in the LSC.

Reply to
ND

Never happen, reference mid to late 80's with the Ford Probe and the outcry for a rear wheel drive 8 cylinder Mustang to remain.

Reply to
ND

We're just going to have to wait and see, won't we?

There are two entirely different scenarios at work here. Back in the '70s, the oil shortage was the result of economic manipulation. The resulting panic that rippled through the automotive world seemed to dictate that cars become more efficient in everything from mileage to aerodynamics. When the panic subsided, we went back to our lust for power and speed.

What we're faced with today is mass panic over the state of the globe. Oil is still not in short supply, but we may be on an irreversible path toward an entirely new definition of personal transportation. Not this year or next, but Fast and Furious IV may be all about racing hybrids and electrics. It remains to be seen whether this is a phase or eventuality.

dwight

Reply to
dwight