2011 Mustang Gets New 6.2-Liter Motor

According to C&D, the current 300HP 4.6 will power the restyled 2010 Mustang. The 2010 restyling job will change the current "'65-'67 look" to a more "modern" '69-'70 body style. In fact, it -- the 2010 model -- looks SO MUCH like the '69-'70 models it's VERY easy to already envision Mach 1 and Boss stripes on the car. In a word, the car is STUNNING! As for the motor, the new 6.2 liter motor makes it's debut a year later in 2011; it'll be a SOHC with "upwards of 400 HP."

A new Chevy Camaro, a retro Dodge Challenger, and soon a Mustang that looks like a '69-'70 model... anyone for some Trans Am racing?!

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

How bout Trans Fat!? These Pony cars are more like horsey cars now.

1969-1970 models got bigger, so it's going to NEED a 6.2. Is that the Boss motor, by the way?
Reply to
Gill

just wondering what the price of gas will do to big motor development (apart from sales).

some peeps will buy the biggest they can - no matter what (hell, my '06 regular GT gets 20+ mpg, and I've only put 1100 miles on it in 2 years, so fuel costs aren't a concern).

but unlike the gas shortages of the early 70s.....I think high fuel costs are here to stay.....and it becomes a matter of manufacturers devoting resources to developing powerplants with limited appeal. Jees, FoMoCo hasn't felt that they can afford to design a new big Lincoln since '80.......why devlop motors for an even smaller audience?

damn......I'm not looking forward to hearing my kid ( the one with the klapped-out Honda tuner) tell me he was right!!!!

Reply to
IM punone

You are the exception to the rule. Most people buy Mustangs to drive them regularly.

As long as Ford sells trucks that need V-8s then the Mustang will potentially have a V-8 under the hood. Trucks are what is driving V-8 development, in general. I think the Mustang is going to a V-6 with forced induction one day. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see a hybrid Mustang within five years. All this isn't necessarily a bad thing. All I want is for it to have some hp and torque and a blown V-6 will definitely get the job done. Remember the Buick Grand National?

I hope I live long enough to drive a full electric sports car. The performance potential from all aspects is huge. The center of gravity could be a few inches off the ground and the torque would be amazing. Then just think what the electronic wheel control would be like.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

But Michael......if I drive it, it'll get dirty!!!!!

Besides my regular rides, I've always got to have a "toy" in the garage, but it pains me to drive them..........last summer I sold my '79 Avanti......17,000 miles.......never out of the garage overnight.....never even wet once.

I know, I know......made to be driven....at least the loons I sell them to are entertaining (one guy was nice enough to offer me $3500 for the Avanti - was fun telling him where he could put it). I hope to live long enough to be the "crazy old guy with the mint Mustang", lol.

Reply to
Still Learning

There is a reason my Mustang has 155k miles on it. I couldn't let it sit in the garage that much.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

:>Besides my regular rides, I've always got to have a "toy" in the garage, :>but it pains me to drive them..........last summer I sold my '79 :>Avanti......17,000 miles.......never out of the garage :>overnight.....never even wet once.

What, you never washed it?

What a waste. Drive it like you stole it. ;)

Reply to
Sarah Czepiel

Absolutely, pains me NOT to drive my vehicles. It is what they were made for. Owning a Vehicle & not driving it, is like having a wife you don't screw -- why waste the money just to look at it?

Reply to
Zomby-Woof

wrote

I hear ya there. My '69 quasi Boss clone with the nasty stroker windsor under the hood was my daily driver for almost a year. And that's here in Denver with all the snow.

Scott W

'69 Sportsroof Mustang, 400W'68 Ranchero 500, 302

Reply to
Scott W.

Sarah/others:

re: never washed the '79 Avanti? well, some Springs, I hosed down the lower part, but don't like getting water down the windows.....so usually sponged-off and waxed in the Spring........dust with a waxed flannel cloth after every drive. Want more symptoms of mania? When new, took all the chrome off and sealed the back with epoxy...........never sat on the leather when the temp was under 45 to keep it from wrinkling.........had a flannel-lined cover, but that got dusty so I covered that with sheets. Oh, and you paint the underside with linseed oil every Spring to make sure nothing corrodes.

I love cars and I love driving.......but whichever is my "toy" has to stay pristrine. Absolutely stupid..........when I sold the Avanti, I got maybe $5000 more than one in typical above-average condition,. But the buyer got a virtually new car.....and is driving and enjoying it.

And yes, the '06 Mustang is getting the same treatment. Man, takes a lot of Q-tips to clean that engine. But at least the new Ice polish is quick and doesn't leave residue. I've had the top down once - had to use a hair dryer to smooth out the wrinkles.

At the risk of boring you (more): my first brand-new toy was a '74 MGB (last one with twin carbs and chrome bumpers) I kept it 10 years, managed to put 14,000 miles on it, but that English paint started to age anyway. (Did I mention that I had the windows removed from the garage so the sun won't damage the cars?). Anyway, I sold the MG to a friend at work.......he got it on a Friday and drove it to a car show the next day......and won. Then his kid wrecked it.

Reply to
Still Learning

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Still Learning) wrote in news:988-481FEA6F-658 @storefull-3252.bay.webtv.net:

You're not really talking about toys, you're talking about museum show pieces. Toys are meant to be played with.

Reply to
Joe

Wow! Now that's,...what's the word here,...Obsessive compulsive?? :) Truthfully, I had a '63 R2 Avanti over one summer. Sold it the next spring, too much work for an old man to do. Wish I still had it, but my '04 Mach 1 kinda' makes up for it. :)

Reply to
ah

According to Motor Trend, the 2010 is goig to be an Echo-Boost turbo charged V6. No more V8's because of the stricter CAFE requirements. THe echo boost will produce more HP than the 4.6 and get about 2-3 mpg more

Reply to
mustangjoe

No more V8's would kill the Mustang... My 2005 V6 was 310RWHP and ran

12.8 @ 107... and as much as I loved the car, i still missed the sound and feel of a V8... Next car will be a V8...

BTW... has the EcoBoost for the 2010 Mustang really been confirmed?

2010 will also most likely see the return of the 5.0... or maybe 2011... but I seriously doubt Ford will drop the V8..
Reply to
John S.

Kiss your v 8 good bye if Hillary or Barrach gets elected along with a few more chicken excrement senators who bow to the Sierra Club. CAFE standards will make it impossible (read, "financially not viable) to put the v 8 in.

Write Senator Carl Levin and tell him you don't give a damn what he thinks YOU *ought* to drive. You still want the choice left up to you.

Reply to
artdev99