2k GT Belt Noise....

Hello All:

Anybody got a way to cure excessive belt noise on a 2k GT 'vert? I've changed the serpentine belt, tensioner and a pulley, but this thing still sounds like a Willy Wonka-mobile going down the road with all the squeals and chirping coming from the motor. From what I've read so far, belt dressing is less than useless, so is there anything else than can be done or I should look at?

Cheers and thanks,

-----Mongo

Reply to
bigmongo1963

I like the Goodyear Gatorback belt for it's quietness. Solved the start up squeak after sitting for days issue in my Yukon.

Reply to
Repairman

When you had the belt off did you check the accessory pulleys by hand? It could be some issue with one of them.

Reply to
Brent

Just take a can of wd40 or silicon spray and give the belt a quick blast or two, while the engine is running. Just, quick, split second blasts. I watched a mechanic friend of mine do this on my Explorer 5.0 and the belt was quiet almost instantly. Or, you can pay a few more bucks for a can of Belt Dressing, which I'm told is the same thing as silicone spray. If it doesn't quiet within a second or two, you may have some other problem. Either way, it shouldn't hurt anything, as long as you don't use too much.

Byron

Reply to
jonezzzman

Belt dressing? That is about the worst shit you could ever hope to spray on a serpentine belt... honest.

The first time you use it, it will last a couple of days....

the next time - a couple of hours

the next time, you probably wont even get the hood closed

and then you now have to clean all that crap off the sheaves....

Mine doesn't squeak and I don't use belt dressing.... I imagine lot's of folks here don't have squeaks and don't use belt dressing.....

fixing the problem is a better choice than trying to spray crap at it... sorry, there is no nice way to say that this shit is bad kharma.

Reply to
Jim Warman

have a friend listen to it to try to locate the noise

try the alternator, then the air gizmo, either could have a bearing going bad (bet alternator)

Reply to
Mackly

Or do it the very old way with a bar of soap. Always worked for me.

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Karen

Ahhh! The smell of burning rubber, coming from your armpits. :-D

Reply to
Bob Willard