2K GT single cylinder misfire mystery

I had an OBDII code check and it told me that cylinder#5 has been misfiring. Since I never changed the plugs (after 100K miles), I changed all 8, and the problem went away for a few weeks. Now, the same cylinder is misfiring again.

What I also noticed is that when the car is in the garage for more than a week, the misfiring always happens on first (cold) start. If I use the car the next day, all is OK.

Should I change the coil as well or the wiring harness (which seems like a huge pain to do)??? Thanks Mark

2000 GT 'vert
Reply to
Mark G7#9

Exchange the coil pack with another cylinder and reset the PCM. If the problem moves it's the coil pack. If it stays on hole number 5 there it's a different problem. You could then do that same swap with the injector to eliminate/verify an injector problem.

Dan

2003 Cobra Convertible With Some Stuff and Things
Reply to
Dan

Good advice (should of thought of it myself). Not sure how to swap the imjector though. Isn't it integrated into the fuel rail thingy?

Reply to
Mark G7#9

Well, not integrated into as much as attached to :). The inlet side of the injectors are clipped/mounted to the rail and the rail is bolted down to the manifold. The oulet side just press fits into the manifold hole with an O-ring for a seal.

Dan P49Y+

Reply to
Dan

I'm thinking that the coil may be eliminated as a problem since it would be bad all the time , not just on cold starts. The injector may be affected though since over time of long rests, maybe something goes funny with the mixture. Makes sense?

Reply to
Mark G7#9

Good advice (should of thought of it myself). Not sure how to swap the imjector though. Isn't it integrated into the fuel rail thingy?

Un-freakin'-believable!

Reply to
ah