2nd question: Time for an exhaust for my 95 Cobra...what to get?

The only mods on the car are a steeda strut tower brace thats been installed, 3.73's in the rear, and of course a tri-ax to improve the feel of shifting. Question: If I wanted to get a nice legal exhaust note happening and maybe pick up a few horsepower, whats the best way to go.

1) I want to keep the thing legal cuz emissions here in CT are on-again, off-again.....

2) I kinda want to keep the installed price under a grand......this meaning H/X pipe and mufflers...ie: catback..but...what about a replacement for the stock cats.......Ehhhh, as you can probably tell I'm not much of a modifier and only know what I read here..hence, whats the smart move here: Unequal Length Headers, replacement H pipe and then a cat-back system with mufflers? like MAC or Flowmaster or.....??? Are the headers really necessary?

FWIW: The only other mods I will probably ever do is perhaps do a different set of heads......but not anytime soon. The cobra is a 95 and I've just got about 20k miles on the OD.....

Opinions..?

This isn't a racer, its a summer daily-driver.....and I dont put many miles on the car, obviously.

Reply to
HeadRusch

cobra boy

The biggest gain you'll get is from a high flow cat setup. I'd start there as the high flow cats will change how the stock exhaust sounds, and it may be enough for you. If not then you can go with a cat back with the muffler of your choice depending on the sound you are looking for. The only warning I have is a lot of the aftermarket mufflers are prone to drone. The chambered styled mufflers are the worst for it. It seems age has a lot to do with your tolerance for it. :) As for headers the best legal power maker is equal length shorties. The are a little harder than unequal length shorties to install, but not bad at all. 5.0 magazine just did a dyno test of unequal and equal length shorties, and 1-5/8 and 1-3/4 long tube headers on the same engine. The equal length shorties made the best peak horsepower, but the long tubes made more bottom end. Of course the long tubes are not legal either.

Of course if your just after noise throw some dronemasters on and be happy lol

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG