3.50 Gears

I've got a 68 Mustang, 289 C-4 with 2.79 gears. I also have a NEW set of Ford 3.50 gears. My question is, is that too tall of a gear for that car?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave

if your rpm to go 70 mph is 2000 then with new gears it would be 2000 * 3.5 / 2.79 = 2,500

highway cruising, dont want to have the engine wound up.

Reply to
huhie

Dave,

Depends on the car's future use. Just zipping/cruising around town and occasional drag strip action on Friday night? Nope, 3.50s are a good choice. If you're planning on some longer highway road trips and will cruise around in a relaxed/laid back manner 3.50s may be a bit much. Know that 3.50 gears are considered an "aggressive" street gear. 3.20s/3.30's are a better "all-around" gear. And 3.70s-3.90s are the "street racers" gear. Your 2.79s are "highway gears".

So ask yourself... what will you be doing with your car in the future?

Hope this helps.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

My Mustang has 3.73 gears. It depends on if you want take off or highway cruise. The higher the number the lower the gear ratio.

Reply to
WindsorFo

My A Code 289C4 is running 3.80. I can chirp the tired at a stop light. What is better for me is longer trips (ie Interstate 5). Takes me longer to get up to speed (though you'd hardly notice) but, once there, I can cruise very economically. My last trip I made between 23 and 26mpg and was able to trake it up to about 110 with breathing room left. Around town, if I keep my foot out of it, I can get around

14-16mpg. If I had my preference, I'd drop it down to between 3.25 and 3.50, which is what is recommend for the normal/regular high side of a 289. Another bad point about the 3.80 is that I have a mild improvement CAM setup (one stage above stock, and matched to my Edelbrock Perfomer 4bbl)m and at highway speeds it is LOUD... say what?... I SAID IT'S LOUD... say what crowd? :0) Around town it's not bad though. I am glad it's a posi.
Reply to
D E Willson