3.73 or 4.10?

I am looking into getting gears. I have 3.08 in my '93 LX 5.0 no mods. (No Bill S, I am not the twit you were racing. Ha-ha!) Should I just get the 3.73s? Or get the 4.10s? I don't plan on racing. Does anyone know any good places in Columbus,Ohio area to get it done?

Thanks for all the knowledge!!!!!

Danny

Reply to
DC

if you have a stick you can go with 3.73 but if you have an automatic go with 4.10...

Bryan

2003 Mustang Convertible

-17x9 Cobra R's

-275/40/ZR17

-Light Bar

-K & N Filter

-90/100 Watt Ion-Blue Headlights

-Red Calipers all around

Reply to
Bryan S. Moore

OK thanks. i do have stick.

Reply to
DC

Why the 4.10 over the 3.73 with the AOD? Which gives a faster start off the line? Other reasons for switching?

Going thru the same decision making process myself here in Cleveland.

Matt

89 5.0 GT Vert (Stock til I w>if you have a stick you can go with 3.73 but if you have an automatic go >with 4.10...
Reply to
Matt

Vibration at speed in 5th is often caused by a gear installed too tight. Was it set-up properly? One should err on the loose side, not tight when setting up a ring/pignon...

Just 2 cents.

Serge

Reply to
Serge

If an the engine is modified to spin faster, then 4.10s might be a good idea. But if an engine is modified to make more torque (i.e. supercharged), then 4.10s are silly. My 3.55s are now looking too steep as I approach

115mph trap speeds. I'll probably have to shift into 5th before I cross the line, and that will obviously hurt my ET.

I know a guy who's built up a AOD equiped '90 with heads, S-trim, etc... He'll probably make 450 HP or more. But he picked 4.10 gears for it, because obviously they're the fastest, right? No! His first gear is uselessly low, and he'll have to shift into OD at like 90MPH, well before the finish line. Does anyone think that a stock AOD will survive in OD with

450HP? I think 4.10s are only good with huge drag slicks on the back. With a torquey V8 and normal tires, they are way too high. What's so appealing about shifting into 3rd at 20mph anyway?

Chris

Reply to
Chris1

Yes it was installed correctly, had it checked by another company after it was installed. The aluminum drive shaft ended most of the vibration I was getting and I now know that 5 gear is about to go in my T5. I will replace it soon with a new Tremec 3550 sitting here waiting from me to put it in.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Normally, one of the reasons for going with 4.10's in the first place is that drag slicks and DOT tires tend to be rather tall (26" dia min compared to around 24 for many street tires and the good ones are usually 28" to 30" tall, necessary to get the sidewall flex necessary to make them bite). It's really hard to find DOT's or slicks smaller than 26", and they tend to be rather expensive. Another reason is that many drag strips are now an eighth mile rather than a quarter and the lower gears work better even with street tires. Our local eighth mile strip is so sticky that my '84 will barely spin the street tires off the line and I go through the traps at about 5800 rpm in second gear with the stock 3.08 gears. My GT would be a much better performer with

4.10's at either an eighth mile (through the traps in third) or a quarter (through the traps in fourth). Even if I hot it up quite a bit, the red line will go up accordingly and it should still work well at both 1/8 and 1/4 mile strips. The guy with the AOD and 450 HP will probably need to be turning 6500 or a little better through the traps to make use of that 450 HP and he will need bigger (and taller) tires to get all that torque to the pavement, so assuming the AOD will stand up to that kind of torque, he should be alright with the 4.10's.

"Chris1" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@dls.net...

wrote:

supercharged),

Reply to