3.8 to 351w Conversion Brackets?

Hello,

I have a 1985 3.8 Marquis (little 4-door brougham, not grand, sometimes referred to as the "4-door mustang") that I am considering putting a 351w in. I have recently put a new alternator on, and the air conditioner still works very well, so I would like to keep these accessories. My problem is, the only swap-brackets I can find seem to be for serpentine setups, which this engine is not. Does anybody know of conversion brackets for older accessories? Aftermarket or other vehicles I can get them out of at a junk yard? Thanks!

CoogarXR

1983 351w Project
Reply to
CoogarXR

The problem you are going to face is that all of the Fox body V-8s are serpentine set-ups, from 1979-on. You may make this work if you get a Mustang donor car with a toasted 5.0 and use the accessories and brackets from that car. The belt length may have to be adjusted slightly, but your motor mounts, springs, sway bar, and other stuff will come with that car...

Another option would be to start your conversion with a 351 right out of a 1979-1991 Crown Vic police/taxi and it's accessories... these were all serpentine also...

On alternators it is often just a change of the pulley to keep yours... A/C maybe the clutch assy... BUT you are going to spend a good deal of $$ on an engine swap anyway, a $45.00 alternator or a $125.00 compressor should not stand in your way...

Last note... the 1983 model of your car had both the v-belt and serpentine belts offerred on the 3.8. This should give you some idea of the interchangeability available.

Good luck with your project!

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

My 79 Fox body is not serpentine belt, it is normal v belt?

Reply to
351CJ

You are correct...

It was the full-size LTD/Marquis/Crown/Grand Marquis that went totally serpentine in 1979 with the body style change to the Panther platform. I would have to do a lot of "peeking" to pin down the year the Capri/Mustang made the switch. Anyone know?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1