302 swap..

Right now I have a 87 Mustang LX 5.0 and I have a motor out of a 94 mustang GT. Does the 94 302 just drop in? I would assume so but I want to make sure. Thanks

Brandon

Reply to
indi

Its not a 100% drop in, but its pretty close.

The intakes will have to be swapped as the upper is obviously different, and the 94 doesn't have the ACT in the intake so there would be no place to reinstall the 87s sensor. Also the egr system is different so you'll need to swap headers between the two.

The water pump and timing cover on the 94 are the short style for an electric fan while the 87 has a belt driven fan with the long style water pump setup. Again you can just swap over the parts from the 87 on to the 94 and be good to go.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Heya MadDAWG!

I tried to send you a email confirming that I got the computer but it bounced back. I ended up running the 94 into a concrete barrier and not having full coverage I have a wrecked up 94 gt with a good motor and other parts that never got installed :(

So now I have a 87 GT.

Which motor had the better internals?? the 87 or the 94... and also, if i have to swap the intake do I have to swap the heads, and the exhaust manifold as well?? If I have to swap the heads I think I will get a set of gt-40p heads instead.

Thanks for the help as always!

Brandon

Reply to
indi

You did remove the spam trap right? :)

The heads are the same between both years. The 87 had a forged pistion while the 94 had a hypereutectic pistons. If you are going to run a power adder then you'll want the forged pistions. If your just going with a mild warm up then the 94 intternals will be fine. The headers for the 94 will need to be swapped for the ones off the 87 for two reasons. First the 94 passanger side header has an egr fitting that won't be used on an 87 setup, and second the 94/95 cars had a larger ball and socket connection between the header and h pipe. You could probably get it to work, but when you have the others handy its just easier to swap.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Awesome, thanks a bunch for the help!!