302 Vavletrain adjustment.

On the stock hydraulic roller lifters with adjustable rockers and guide plates in the 302 how is the valve lash set? I have read that you tighten the rocker until the pushrod does not turn by finger and then go 3/4 of a turn past this. I am installing new lifters and there is maybe 1/10 on an inch compresion in the top of the lifter before it gets tight. is this due to the lifter not being full of oil(I soked them in oil first) or is this normal. The engine is on the stand and it seems to hang the valve open if I tighten it up finger tight then go 3/4 of a turn, should I stop at the finger tight?

Sorr if this is not clear!

Dominic

Reply to
MJDJ

Re-prime the oil pump until you see oil coming out of every rocker arm. This ensures that every lifter is full of oil. then at #1 TDC, adjust both valves till you feel a slight resistance while turning each push rod. Then manually rotate the engine watching the valves for the next cyl. Stop when you see both valves are fully closed, and adjust those. Do the same for each cyl. This will get you very close. Once you have the motor in the car, run the motor till you get it up to operating temp., and then re-adjust them normally. If it's an aftermarket cam, follow the directions they provided with the cam. Some say 1/4 turn, some say 1/2 turn, and some say no extra turns.

Gary

"MJDJ" wrote in a message:

Reply to
GEB

Tightening 1/2 to 3/4 turn may open the valve a little until the lifter bleeds down. Especially new lifters. Don't worry obout this. I'll usually rock the rocker while slowly tightening the nut just untill there's no lash/slop and then 1/2 to 3/4 turn. The pushrod may coninue to spin if it's lubed up well after this. So DON'T go by that.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

This is way most cam companies suggest.

To set the first pair of rockers, bump the engine over and watch the exhaust rocker arm. When it opens roughly a third of its total (exhaust opening--EO), stop and set the intake rocker arm. the intake lobe would be on its base circle. That is when you want to set the intake.

To set the intake, back off the adjustment nut until you know there is clearance. Then slowly tighten the nut until you can feel a slight resistance while twirling the pushrod between your fingers. This is zero clearance between the lifter, pushrod, rocker, and valve.then tighten the adjuster another half-turn. Some manufacturers may require more preload, but a half-turn is a safe setting that most companies use.

For the exhaust bump the engine over again and watch the intake lobe. Continue to bump the engine past max intake valve lift and stop when the intake is about halfway down on the closing side (IC--intake closing).the exhaust lobe would be on its base circle.

Now set the lash or preload on the exhaust valve for the same cylinder. Once you've done that, you're ready to move to the next cylinder.

Reply to
winze