331 Stroker Kit question

Hi guys and Kate

Well I finally found out what the THUNKING was in my car, looks like it's a crank bearing....(according to my brothers mechanic)....so that means taking the engine out...so since I am there I was thinking of a stroker kit. I have been checking a few websites for prices and such, and I only have one question for you guys.....how much of a headache is it to covert the 302 to a 331....please keep in mind that I am a newbie to this...I love to do things myself and am not afraid of pulling my engine

100% apart. is there anything I need to add to my 302 or do these kits come with everything I need? Oh yeah the engine is from an 84GT. Can I keep my heads...are they useful for this application?

The kit I am looking at comes with: located here

SCAT 9000 Series Crank w/ 3.250 Stroke SCAT Forged "I" Beam Rod 5.400 KB F/T Piston

is this a good choice?

Thanks gang

Rick

Reply to
Rick

If you have to buy a crank already, then I see no reason not to buy a stroker crank. I myself went through the same thing a while back with my '93 mustang. I ended up buying a 331 street fighter kit from probe and I loved it. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

I built a 331 stroker from scratch. Just remember that there's a LOT more to it than changing the rotating assembly if you want to maximize performance (heads, cam, valvetrain, intake, etc, etc). If not, then just make sure that the new crank has the same balance as your damper and flywheel unless you want to replace those also (ie 50oz or 28oz). Without better heads etc the added volume will not fill as well and you'll run out of breathing capacity sooner. The stock heads breath pretty horribly supplying 302 inches so you can figure what they'll do trying to supply 331.

LJH

95GT (maxed 331 stroker)

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

I would ALWAYS balance the rotating assembly on a stroker kit. When I built my 393 stroker Windsor, It was supposed to be used with the stock 28oz balance. If I had tried to bolt it together the motor damn near woulda flown apart. the balance was WAAYYY off and a ton of weight (comparitively) had to be added. I did ask if maybe we ended up with a crank for the 50oz balance and the balance shop said, "no". I bought the kit from CHP. Nice price, bad balance. Just goes to show you always have to check everything twice and to assume that if the manufacturer is gonna screw one up, it's gonna be yours.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I second that. Though my rotating assembly was "balanced", I am very happy I had it precision balanced. It was close but not as good as it should be.

LJH

95GT
Reply to
Larry Hepinstall