351?

I'm thinking about building a 351 over the winter. My guestion is, what items can I use off my old 302? Also how much taller is the 351 than the

302? Thanks.
Reply to
Dean

Is the 351 a Windsor, or a Cleveland... this makes a big difference!

Steve Something up my sleeve

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

If it's a 351W, you can't use much: Heads, cam retainer plate, camshaft, front cover, flywheel, clutch assembly, bellhousing assembly, timing gears (but not chain), rocker arms, valve covers. Maybe a few other small items like fastners and freeze plugs. Some parts - like the heads - may need special fastners.

Reply to
.boB

Reply to
Turbo1010

Everything.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Two completly different engines. About the only thing they have in common is the displacement. The windsor is like a bigger 302 - taller deck height. The Cleveland is like a smaller FE motor - sort of. The Cleveland is a great motor for drag racing. But not such a great street motor. And performance parts are harder to find for the C as compared to the W.

Reply to
.boB

Getting closer... they also share the same bore spacing, the 4" bore and

3.5" stroke(also shared with the Ford 352 FE engine). You can even bolt the heads from each on the other(takes a lot of work to get them to work in any case). the bellhousing pattern is the same(not like the 351M/400). You can even build a 302C if you want, Falcons came with this configuration in Australia. I'm sure there is even more I'm overlooking...

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1

The 351W is both taller and wider due to an increased deck height. The 302 has an 8.205 deck height compared to the 351W's 9.503 height (1971-95). Earlier (69-70) 351's had a 9.480 deck height. The 302 is 18.750 wide and 20.750 high while the 351W is 21.000 wide x 23..750 high. Both engines are 27.500 long. Heads and camshafts interchange between the 351W and HO302, the passenger car/truck 302 uses a different firing order. Intake manifolds are engine specific.

Reply to
Fred Brown

Reply to
351CJ

Lots of parts can be interchangeable between the two engines. The lower intake is one part that cannot be used on either though. Just about everything else external will fit on either though. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

The most significant difference between the 351W and 351C are the heads. The Cleveland heads are what make this engine - Cleveland 4V heads feature HUGE canted valves (intake head diameter ~2.19", exhaust head diameter ~1.71). A comparable 351W head features ~1.8" intake and ~1.5" exhaust valve head diameters. Cleveland heads are also used on the Boss 302 engine.

Differences between 351W and 351C can be found @

Information on the 335 series (M block) engines can be found @
Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C @

Grover C. McCoury III

Actually, Boss 302 heads are used on the 351C. The Cleveland engine was designed from the top down to use the heads developed for the SCCA 302 cid Trans Am Mustangs, which were built in response to the 302 Chevy screamer that was pushing the Camaros to victory. Once the "Boss" hit the track, the Chevy 302 was barely a contender anymore.

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1