351 crate motor?

Anyone had any experience with Ford Racings 351 crate motor, the one they say is HD. 250 hp,4bbl intake, and cost $2,800? Thinking of putting one in my 71 coupe, the Ford parts website says it makes 350 ft lbs of tq. I would like alittle more hp than 250 say around 300, but this price is in my budget.

Thanks Dean.

Reply to
Dean

Nothing says you can't take the crate motor and build it up from there.... OTOH, there is no replacement for displacement and it wouldn't be hard to take a seasoned block and stroke it out to 400 inches... add some decent heads and you are well on your way to 300+ HP

Reply to
Jim Warman

That's not the one you want. You really want the marine version of the

351W. I don't recall how much it costs these days, but it's good for almost 350hp normally aspirated. They also more or less drop in to a Fox Mustang with some minor alterations.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

I spent that much rebuilding my 302 that's in the 'Chero. It's a .060" ob C8 block with gasket matched C8 iron heads, RPM air gap intake and a little more cam than stock. It puts out ~270hp at the flywheel, and that's with 40 cid less than that brand new 351W. Installed.

The other end is the 351W that's in my '69. It's a .060" ob D9 block. GT40-X heads. Comp Cams XE262H cam. Performer intake. CHP 393 stroker crank. full balance. How 'bout 420hp and 480lb/ft tq? This cost in the neighborhood of $4k installed.

I suggest you do a bit more research. I know getting a crate engine is a lot easier, but there are advantages to having a motor built for you. My builder asked a lot of questions before he started building. First obviously is what my budget is. Next is what am I going to use it for. Am I planning on having some fun with it later on? Any trips to the circle, roadcourse or straight line track (regularly, rarely, or never)? These are things a builder you actually talk to can discuss which way to go with the build. With a crate, you get what you get.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

There's also the 385hp 351-HO SVO (PN M-6007-A351) crate engine. List is a little over $4k. That's a bit more than the $2,800 quoted above, but it's also over 50% more horsepower in a normally aspirated Ford crate engine. And then there's the 351 GT-40 SVO assembly (PN M-6007-B351), which comes with cast-iron heads and an auto-trans flexplate. Using SVO?s dual-plane intake (PN M-9424-Z351), a 750-cfm Holley, and headers, it?s still rated at 346 hp and 364 lb-ft.

Don't forget that there are also lots of places doing the old standard...347 stroker which can produce a lot of normally aspirated power on a budget as well.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Dean, Earlier this year my daughter's b/f started a complete drivetrain replacement project for his '65 coupe. We decided early on to replace the non-original 302 w/a 351 and looked at that crate engine also. He eventually bought a remanufactured 351 with the same heads and cam (reputable machinist shop) for $1000 less. If other items weren't needed for the project he'd have bought the crate engine.

Headers, 4BBL and a set of used 1.7 roller rockers later he has a car that outruns my 14.2 sec. '00 GT from a roll ('65 needs limited slip and ratio change).

bradtx

Reply to
bradtx

What is "4bbl intake", please?

Reply to
Scotter

An intake manifold that will accep a 4-barrel carburetor.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

OMG it's finally happened. The old fashioned carburetor and its associated hardware is not recognized by the masses anymore...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Anyone younger than about 30 or 35 that isn't a hotrodder probably has never even seen one on a production car. Personally, I prefer fuel injection. It's a little more complex, but you can more finely tune the engine and you don't have to worry about a cranky choke when the weather gets cold. 8-)

I have an old mid-60's Jeep Commando that I use occasionally to plow my driveway. I was rebuilding the carb a few months ago and must have had a dozen people ask me what that funny looking thing on my workbench was. The rebuild kit I got from my usual parts supplier looked like it had about 30 years worth of dust on the box. 8-)

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

A "2bbl" carburetor has 2 barrels (aka venturi). Hence, a "4bbl" carburetor has 4 barrels. The number of venturi determine the amount of fuel that the carburetor can supply. Therefore, a 4bbl intake manifold will accept a 4bbl carburetor.

And yes, there was a fuel delivery system for engines prior to EFI...

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C featuring a Holley 4bbl 700 CFM double pumper @

Grover C. McCoury III

ROFL!!

Reply to
WindsorFox

I saw a list not long ago of things a high school student today probably would not recognize.... SCAREY!

Reply to
Spike

Heh. The scary part is how difficult it is becoming to find parts for carbs. I had to replace the accelerator pump diaphrams on an old Ford

200cid straight six single barrel carb. They were leaking like sieves and used to be available (when I was a teenager) for a couple bucks at any auto parts store. I had to order them online since nobody local had any or could get them in a reasonable time frame.
Reply to
Ritz

Reply to
cprice

Reply to
cprice

Excuse me for nit picking, but the venturi's determine the amount of air the carb can flow, not the amount of fuel.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

And the number of venturis is also irrelevant. It's the total flow rate that actually matters. 1 giant barrel or 4 little barrels are effectively the same if they offer the same flow numbers.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

While I have the A Code 4V and appreciate the originality, I am seriously considering conversion to EFI. It's more complicated (at least for me), but, it's more responsive, more stable (as in during cornering, launches and stops), and more economical. Whether or not the cost of the conversion outweighs the improvements... I dunno....

Reply to
Spike

A dial telephone.

Reply to