351 Windsor Oil Pressure Problem

Threaded View
My question is about a 351 Windsor engine. On cool days (70 degrees),
it runs fine and the engine temp hovers only halfway to the red zone
and the oil pressure is steady.  On hot days (over 80 degrees), it runs
 hot and will overheat if I push it at all.  When the engine idles down
to 600-700 RPM, the oil pressure will dive to zero if I don't keep the
RPM's above 700-800.  Any ideas on how to solve this problem?  What
about trying a lower temp thermostat, maybe a 180?  Thanks.

Re: 351 Windsor Oil Pressure Problem

180 or 160 thermostat,50/50 coolant mix,slightly heavier grade oil,up
the idle,check/retard  the timing slightly, add a bigger
radiator/electric fan

Re: 351 Windsor Oil Pressure Problem
@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Overheating is caused by a compromised cooling system, usually the
radiator. There is absolutely nothing that a lower degree thermostat will
do to help, except maybe give the radiator a bit more of a head start. That
won't help for long. Get the radiator fixed.

Re: 351 Windsor Oil Pressure Problem

some of the rebuilt radiators are worse than what you may have, I got one
and it razed the temp by several degrees, the paint was thicker on it, a
rebuilt out of calif from the back of a mag.  Best is using an intown
rebuilt,
check you fan clutch too, they go bad after a while
oil pressure going to zero at low idal dosent sound right either.

Re: 351 Windsor Oil Pressure Problem
$ snipped-for-privacy@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

It's doing that because he's obviously got some bearing wear, and the oil
is thin because the engine is hot.

Re: 351 Windsor Oil Pressure Problem
Bearing wear is the most comon for low idle oil pres. loss. The first
thing to do on any car worth keeping is to put some acurare mechanical
guages on it for Water temp and Oil Pres.
Bearing wear, depending on the milage and oil used usually is the Cam
Bearings on the 351W. You could try to plasti-guage the Mains and rods
but you might as well plan on a re-build to be happy.Usually there is
so much sludge in the oil and water passages that if dont re-build your
doing more harm than good. A cheap fix would be to in the meanwhile
upgrade to a high pres. oil pump.How many miles does this motor have
since the last rerbuild? If your getting hot. Has it always been hot
running or is this new? If it's something new, you might try some CLR
in the motor wirh some water only and let it break up any lime and
calcium or rust that might be blocking the passages. It only takes a
small amount to block the heads water potr and your HOT.That would be
to age also.

Re: 351 Windsor Oil Pressure Problem

CLR in the water and run for a while?  how long, how much CLR ?

how many miles on the motor or how old ?

Re: 351 Windsor Oil Pressure Problem

I use about normal bottle(approx. 12-18 oz.) then fill with clean water
while its running to warm then use it for up to two hours then let it
cool to warm and pull lower Rad hose then rad petcock and engine drain
plug(Drivers side Rear By bell housing) and flush thoroughly. Usually I
force water thru the heater hoses back and forth the engine and core to
make sure everything is moving .Then remove your thermostat housing and
flush and replace your thermostat with a 185'-190' if you are going
into a cold climate and planning to have the car in the elements,and
then fill with 60/40 Rust inhibitor and Quality anti-freeze. This has
saved me money on radiator rot and heater core hassel.

Re: 351 Windsor Oil Pressure Problem

Have the coolant tested for byproducts of combustion.  If the
test is positive, you have a blown head gasket.

As for the oil pressure, the first thing to do is put a real
gauge on it.  Factory gauges are notoriously inaccurate.  If it's
still low, switch to a heavier grade oil.

Lotta miles on this motor?

--
.boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

I had the same exact problem when I was a kid over 20 years ago in my 1975
Cougar.  At idle the pressure was zero on my gauge but there were no valve
train sounds as a result of it.  If your engine truly has low oil pressure
the first place you will hear it is in the valve covers unless it has gone
for so long it spins a bearing.

Re: 351 Windsor Oil Pressure Problem
You may want to check the oil pressure sensor and sending unit and even the
guage before you diagnose it as an engine problem.  If its none of those
then I would check the radiator.

Erik D.
No cool vehicles :(

Re: 351 Windsor Oil Pressure Problem
The engine has 150K on it.  The radiator is new in terms of miles, but
it is several years old, because the car is not a daily driver.
Mechanical guages confirm that the pressure really is dropping.  I've
tried a higher pressure oil pump with heavier oil and that changes
things enough the problem only happens on hot days.  The problem came
on pretty suddenly.  Since it runs OK on cold days, I am looking for
something I can do to help the engine stay cool.  I think you guys are
right about the cam shaft bearings being worn - an engine rebuild is
sadly probably in my future. - cjg