351C 2v

Any recommended d carb, intake 4bbl. set up for a 72 Mustang with a

351C 2v. Totally stock ,needs to fit under stock hood air cleaner. Why do lots of Mustang guys bad talk the 351C? This car a strong runner with ASSUME midrange! Thanks Fritz
Reply to
James Friedel

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:26:51 -0500, James Friedel rearranged some electrons to form:

Can't speak for Mustang hood clearance, but the Edelbrock Performer 351C2V works for me along with a Holley 4160 600 CFM. YMMV

Reply to
David M

Depending on what you are doing to the car, consider a set of 351 Australian heads. Breathing will improve and compression will be raised slightly.

Reply to
Kruse

I'm restoring a '72 mach1 with a 351C. I purchaced a set of aussie heads off of ebay and I'm getting the Edlebrock "Performer 351C 2V" I'm using an Edlebrock 650 cfm carb, it's very similar to a Carter 625 cfm that was on the 351C on my '73 Ranchero. That car would definitely MOVE, considering it's weight and size.

Can't wait to get the new Cleveland back from the machine shop and get it in the mach!!!

Good luck!

-Dave

Reply to
nospam

I would definitely recommend a dual plane intake manifold - much more street friendly than a single plane. You should *at least* be using a

600 CFM rated carburetor - preferably a 650 CFM rated carburetor.

I have a Holley 750 CFM double pumper and a Edelbrock Performer 351 on my 377 CID stroked 351C. I get 340 RWHP @ 5,000 RPM and 400 lb-ft torque @ 3,300 RPM.

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C @

Grover C. McCoury III

How does that double pumper do on the street? Bet it sucks gas.

Reply to
Mark C.

Get an Edlebrock 625 cfm w/electric choke. I have been running this on my '70 Cougar for 5 years without a hitch. The intake I have is an Edelbrock F351, probably from the 70's. But Edelbrock intakes are still the class of the field. If they make a Performer RPM, get that one. Or a Weiand Stealth if they make one for a Cleveland.

BTW, why would you want to hide your new stuff under the OE air cleaner?

Also, anyone who disses the Clevo is an idiot. Just tell them the 1st and 2nd place engines in the Popular Hot Rodding '05 Engine Masters were Cleveland headed 410 ci Windsors. The winner made nearly 700 hp naturally aspirated on 92 octane.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
one80out

Going into the wayback machine, Professor Peabody and I re-affirmed that I had seen many Cleveland blocks with cracked main bearing webs and less than ideal coolant flow through the block casting. It is relatively easy to install Cleveland heads on the windsor block and come away with a better package in terms of reliability and durability. Moving up into modern times, curent cylinder head technology surpasses what we had back before most of you were born. There are some skookum heads out there for reasonable without having to re-invent the wheel...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Follow up: while the 3rd place engine was a Clevor, the first place used Cleveland heads AND block. Here's an excerpt from the PHR web site:

"Jon Kaase is no stranger to the world of ultra high performance engine building and the incredibly slick Ford 408 Cleveland he brought this year was by far the most exotic mill in attendance. With its Australian CH1 Cleveland heads, AMC six-cylinder main bearings and .5-inch thick copper head spacers, it was number one qualifier with peak readings of

698.2 hp, 619.6 lb.-ft, average power readings of 485.9 hp and 557.3 lb.-ft. and a staggering 1,043.2 points.

"We asked Jon if there was anything left in the 12.4:1 compression Ford Cleveland to be unleashed for the final rounds and he said, 'I've got the timing back as far as it will go (24 BTDC) and still make power so jetting is all that's left.'

"The motor was started and the competition pulls commenced. The amazing result was peak output of 691.2 hp and 616.2 lb.-ft., average output of

485.9 hp and 557.3 lb.-ft. for a total score of 1,043.2 to win the Engine Masters Challenge."

So there you go, a Cleveland block with aftermarket Clevo heads beat several dozen 410 ci Chevy small blocks, Windsors, etc., at a competition geared to reward all-rpm torque and horsepower, not just peak.

Regarding Jim Warman's comments about the superiority of Clevors, I don't dispute his recollection regarding cooling problems, but it seems like if water were circulating through the block at all you'd be OK, that the main function of the cooling system is to cool the heads.

OTOH, it is common knowledge that the Clevo needs help with the oiling system for extended high rpm use. The fix as I recall is to tap into the block near the fuel pump and run an oil line to the oil pressure sending unit's port at the back of the block. Only worth doing if you're going to be running 6000+ regularly.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
one80out

The following info is from

"The 351C or 429-460 are capable of tremendous horsepower and high revs. As power and RPM levels increase so does the strain on the stock oiling system. Many engine failures occur because the stock system tends to direct more oil to the rocker arms, than to the rod and main bearings. Good news! There are performance kits available to solve this problem by taking oil from the front oil galley directly above the oil filter, and plumbing it into the rear main oil galley right behind the intake manifold. Complete kits include high volume oil pump, cam bearing and rocker arm restrictors, and external oil line. However, if you are a do-it-yourselfer and just want to redirect oil, build a 3/8 inch oil line and plumb it in."

Oiling kit for 351C/429-460 are available @

I think the oiling problem is somewhat overrated - take a look @

for more information on this issue.