351c Engine help PLEASE!!

I have a little bit of a problem. I just finished building and installing a

351c in my 72 Mach-1. Set timing to 8 Deg.BTDC initial with a Accell Vac. advance distributor and a Holley 4150 Vac. secondaries carb. It idles and revs fine in park but when I drive it as soon as I get on it a little and hit around 2800rpm it sputters and seems to cut out, but under that rpm it seems fine. I did notice that at idle i'm pulling about 15 inches of carb. vacuum and about 30 inches of manifold vacuum. When I connect the Vac. advance my timing is about 16 deg. advanced. I don't think I should have much carb. vacuum at idle and am probably reaching 42 deg. advance at 3000rpm. Does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong or where to start looking? I thank you for any help that you can give.

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Me

Also try this in alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury. Cleves are on topic there.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

I put the problem to the guys at the group you recomended but have not gotten any help there yet. Does anyone have any ideas? Could the carb be too small?

Reply to
Me

As you have no doubt discovered by now, the BB group is not as large as this one, and you must have a little patience before writing off any replies.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

Which Holley 4150 are you using? They feature 4150 model carbs with various CFM ratings.

You should *at least* be using a 600 CFM rated carb - preferably a 650 CFM rated carb.

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C featuring a

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

If it stumbles at a steady rpm, like a on,off,on,off it is either running out of fuel, or the front jets are to small, start by setting the floats so gas will be level with the bottom of the sight plug hole,if that doesn't help install larger front jets, go up 2 sizes at a time until it runs smooth.

Reply to
winze

I'll keep with them, I got a few replies now.

Reply to
Me

Holley 600 with Vac. secondaries and electric choke.

Reply to
Me

It runs fine on steady throttle or light accelleration, but stumbles on accel. from a stop and just dies on a hard accell from a stop or if I get on it like when getting on a freeway on ramp. I have to accel. easy to get up to speed.

Reply to
Me

I agree that this sounds like fuel starvation. Definitely not an ignition timing problem. Go up in jet sizes, but I would set the float bowls for the middle of the sight glass, then go down from there.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

Accelerator pump shot too small or non existent?

Reply to
RJ

I'm getting a full shot, but the squirter is only .025" so I will be putting a .028" in it tuesday night as well as a 6.5 high flow power valve. Just waiting for the parts to come in.

Reply to
Me

I have a bigger squirter and a new 6.5 power valve coming in tomorrow. I believe I have #66 jets in it now, but I want to check the size before I order bigger ones. I'll do that when I put the power valve in.

Reply to
Me

very possible the pump diaphram is busted or the squirter is clogged,or the arm is out of adjustment, you should see fuel squirt into the carb when you barely move the throttle? if you remove the squirter be carefull not to drop it into the engine, and don't loose the small gaskets, keep check on the screw to make sure it's tight, if it falls into the engine while it's running the results will be serious engine damage, there is also a check ball or needle under it that will be pushed out if the throttle is touched while the squirter is off, it's best to remove the carb from the engine to work on it. been there,done it! LOL

Reply to
winze

Well, I got it working better but still not right. To make a long story short... Threw a used 750 cfm on it and it helped a little and I was able to get the thing to idle, but it still died at 2500-3000 rpm. Cut back the timing to 34 deg. total advance and the cutting out mostly went away but the idle had to be turned back up to 1000 from 750 rpm that the bigger carb let me set it to. Looks like I might have to play with the dist. curve now to cut back on the total advance and still let me get it to idle at a decent rpm. Maybe if the advance comes in a little later, say around 3000 max instead of 2300 rpm the cutting out will go away.?

Reply to
Me