351c or 351w.. engine time is fast approaching

and i can't decide.. trust me.. i've tried for a year now.. :)

351w.. I suppose I can get parts for a bit cheaper, and throw a rock out my front door and hit one..\

351c.. i hear different things.. some people say go with the 2v heads if it's a daily driver (which it will be).. others say 4v.. some say just go with the 351w.. I'm looking for a daily driver with about 400hp/tq.. Want to be able to cruise around, but it'd be nice to be able to race the 1/4 too..

What I really would appreciate, is for people to list ALL their specs on their built up 351w's and 351c's.. with HP and torque and rpm.. I can't decide.. help a fellow out! :)

Reply to
Johnny K

You're much better ahead with a 351W.

ALOT more performance parts for it.

The Clevor (Cleveland heads on a Windsor block) are BIG bucks for the Intake conversion as well.

You'll most likely have fitment issues and finding headers would be a PITA and $$$ for a Cleveland too.

Go with the Windsor. You'll be glad you did!

Reply to
Katmandu

So I assume you are making great progress with the car to be thinking of engines now? :-) Any pics yet??

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

Reply to
C. Olofsson

Reply to
Johnny K

Reply to
Johnny K

snip

I can't help but agree that the Cleveland lost the battle for aftermarket parts. But, if you find a complete 4V (or CJ), it will make more torque completely stock, with stock manifolds, than a comparable Windsor tricked out a bit.

An engine is really a gasoline-assisted air pump. Toward that end, the

4V heads are a marvel. If you get the chance, go and compare the heads. I once had a 351C-4V head, a 351C-2V head, and a 351W head in my livingroom, side by side. The difference between the 4V and the Windsor was laughable.

The reason that aftermarket heads are so popular for Windsor heads is that is needed them so badly. I don't think that an aftermarket head was ever designed for the Cleveland. Without considering the difference in valve size, the ports were like comparing a business card to a large postage stamp.

If I intended to set the engine in and use it, as is, I would go with the 4V in a second. If I wanted to tweek it every few weeks, I would stick with the common Windsor.

By the way, Hooker still makes the SuperCompetition headers for the 4V that I have on mine. Even though it uses 13/16" pipes, they were not nearly large enough for the head. It took me two days, a mig welder, and a LOT of grinding to match the heads. These headers are awesome when open (for the first time, my Montego body popped a wheelie). But, as they came, the outside of one tube was actually INSIDE a port!

Reply to
Ron Hammon

Get a stroker windsor and be done with it, you will not look back...

Cleavos are only worth the trouble if you need it to match your old stang...

Just 2 cents...

Serge

Reply to
Serge

Reply to
Johnny K

Johnny, Build a Windsor and save yourself some aggro. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

snip

Wow! Great tips here. The tip about drilling a thermostat addresses the steam-lock problem that we talked about a while back. Lots of good info here, especically on the 2V/4V question.

Remember that ratings are net starting in '72.
Cleveland stuff.
Interesting site.
Wow! This guy is the most serious car hobbyist that I've ever found. In case you don't know, the 351 CJ was the stock engine for the Ford Pantera. This guy has put a 8.7 Hemi in a Pantera! He makes some english errors, but I admire his dedication and records-keeping.

A lot of SERIOUS work on carbs for these beasts.

I'm out of time. Gotta get back to work.

Reply to
Ron Hammon

Here's one if you want a "homemade" EFI conversion on the Cleveland. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Thanks. I might use that.

Reply to