351W

I'm looking at a 351windsor engine out of a 1987 pickup it has 220,000 miles on it. I would like to put this in my 67' fastback with a complete rebuilt of course. Is there anything I should be looking at before I buy the engine? Is it worth putting Hi performance parts on?

The engine is only $50.00

Thanks Scott

Reply to
Scott Jones

Don't seem like a bad deal for 50 bucks. It probably isn't a roller motor though, not 100% on that though. Was it running when it was pulled or what? Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Personally, I wouldn't bother rebuilding it. About the only thing you will use will block, crank, brackets, covers and pan. The block and crank will have to be machined. The heads from an mid-late 80's truck are some of the worst Ford ever made. I wouldn't use them for any project.

For $50, I would buy it for those parts that are still usable - like P/S & A/C brackets, pan, covers, etc. The rest goes to the recycler. Then buy a kit from PAW, and a 4 barrel intake from the vendor of your choice. Now you have a motor worth building!

Reply to
.boB

First of all what are you trying to do with the car? Daily driver? Weekend warrior? Dragstrip-only terror? What power level are you trying to achieve? "High performance" is a phrase so lamely used. I officially deem that phrase obsolete and lame. From now on we will refer to part enhancing parts as race-related parts. Why? Because I'm cool like that and I said so.

Now, that block isn't roller ready, but do you drive down the road saying to yourself "it doesn't feel or run like a roller?" With the power level you intend to make will you be sticking some part of your body into the running motor to try and feel for the friction loss caused by NOT running roller lifters? Alrighty then. You already said you're going to rebuild it so for $50 the block alone is worth that. You're going to have to get it worked on at a machine shop anyway. With the money you intend to dump into it you may as well purchase a popular stroker kit using a forged crank. Then again NOBODY can TELL you what to do or at least suggest anything to you without answering the first few questions. We need specifics on the parts you originally intended to use for that motor. For a mild mannered street 351W the stock rods and crankshaft have no problem with 500HP, but those pistons make great ashtrays or paperweights. Ross, KB, JE, Weisco, and other companies make awsome pistons for your application(s).

Be sure you get the block dipped, cleaned, & checked for cracks, new core plugs, cam bearings, honed or bored to your liking, torque-plate honed, crankshaft journals align-honed, and the block decked. It will cost you a pretty penny, but much worth it in the end. If you re-use the rods get them redone by a machine shop with ARP bolts and get the crankshaft checked or cleaned up with an undercut if need be. Then get everything all balanced. I could go on, but I'm tired. Keep in mind I am cooler than everyone else on this board. :o)

Helmut Roner Beat Up 1988 Mustang GT

Reply to
HELMUT RONER

Hey Scott,

Where abouts are you? You're on Golden.net so you aren't too far from me.

StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet