351w convertion in 87 convert questions

Hi I am thinking on doing a four cylinder to a 351w in a 87 mustang convert. I know this topic has been around. I would like the expertise of you people in here on what to advise me for changes and suspension/ Thanks Dave.

Reply to
ledpeddle

It would cost you a lot less money & save a lot of valuable time to find a 5.0 donor car for the project, as it will have all the parts you need. The 351W/5.8 is only about 20-25 lbs. more than the 5.0.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

"trainfan1" wrote

351W/5.8 bare block weight- 168 lbs. 302/5.0 bare block weight- 129 lbs. Difference- 39 lbs.

The only blocks that are really close in weight are the FRPP racing blocks where there is only 7 lbs difference between the two.

FRPP Sportsman 351W, 2-bolt main, racing block- 183lbs. FRPP R302, 4-bolt main, racing block- 176 lbs.

But you could build a MONSTER stroker with one of these blocks and a huge overbore.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

"trainfan1" wrote

351W/5.8 bare block weight- 168 lbs. 302/5.0 bare block weight- 129 lbs. Difference- 39 lbs.

The only blocks that are really close in weight are the FRPP racing blocks where there is only 7 lbs difference between the two.

FRPP Sportsman 351W, 2-bolt main, racing block- 183lbs. FRPP R302, 4-bolt main, racing block- 176 lbs.

But you could build a MONSTER stroker with one of these blocks and a huge overbore.

Reply to
Mark C.

"Mark C." wrote

The 351W would have an even wider weight gap on the 302. The intake manifold is bigger (wider), hence heavier. Everything else would weigh the same since the parts are all interchangeable (except distributor). However, just to pick nits, a stock 351W uses longer rods, taller pistons, and a taller distributor (which add even more weight). Moving the difference up closer to

50 lbs, not the suggested 25 lbs. Now if every pound counts, that's alot of weight to try and cut somewhere else.
Reply to
66 6F HCS

I was thinking the 351W would be carburated as to the 5.0's fuel injected smogged weight.

Reply to
Mark C.

apples/oranges

Reply to