4.10 GEARS & EVERYTHING I need for the best possible install on 99 AUTOMATIC GT VERT?

I own a 99 GT Automatic Vert (aprox 55,000 miles)

Can you help me figure out EVERYTHING I need to buy to have the GEAR job done right. I am planning on going to a shop and having a pro do the install.

From reading all the posts I think 4.10's are my best option.

Is

the best place to buy them? It looks like 4.10's are $139.95

gefracing.com also sells all of the below, which of these would I need???????:

1) Add Ford Racing Friction Modifier - a must for every new ring & pinion install. Only $3.35!

2) Electronic Ratio Adapter - a must for all 98+ Mustangs to have correct speedo readings. Only $133.00.

3) Add a complete pinion bearing kit for only $75.63.

4) Add a complete rear end bearing kit for only $162.49. Includes the complete pinion kit above plus axle bearings, axle seals and differential clutches. A must for higher mileage vehicles.

This is where I get a bit lost, I know I need some type of chip for speedo correction which ones would you suggest(I have no other mods)? any clue where I can pick 1 up at a good price?

People also mention getting some of these items when installing gears, do i need any of the following (beyond the stuff I mentioned before at

??

aluminum driveshafts? shift kits? shims? crush sleeve?

2.25 qts gear oil? If so where can I order them at the best price??

I just want to get everything I need, have it done at a good shop in Columbus, Ohio and get all the parts and labor at a decent price.

Thanks everyone for your input & HELP!

PS If anyone knows of any good shops in Columbus, OH please let me know?

Reply to
Scott

Just go to a reputable shop and they will have all you need in stock...

Just 2 cents.

Serge

Reply to
Serge

Reply to
Johnny K

Mine does...

Reply to
Serge

That's the joy of working with places like Ekeystone.com, as a retailer, if I did not have it in the shop that day, I could have usually gotten it overnight at a very reasonable price...Then again, our shop was booked out 4-6 weeks, so it really did not matter if I had them in stock that day or not..............You want the quality work, you had to wait your turn, plain and simple......................

Bill S.

Johnny K wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

All I've read tells me that #2 (ERA or SpeedCal equivalent) doesn't work with '99+ automatics - only manuals. You'll need to make the adjustment with a chip or your trans won't shift right. Do a search at someplace like Corral.net to get the gory details. I don't have an auto, so I didn't pay close attention. Depending on the mileage, you might consider new bearings and races for the diff and pinion, and inner axle seals. Also, if you like to do lots of burnouts, have the clutches on the Traction Lok replaced. I've got ~77K+ on my car with new gears going in this weekend. I'm having the bearings and clutches replaced (I've got the one wheel peal) at the same time.

Reply to
Keith

The SpeedCal won't work on the 99-up GT AODE cars, however they're fine for the the 99-up 5-spd. and all the 96-98 GT's and Cobras. For the 99-up AODE cars the best bet is either a computer reflash or chip, both of which can correct the shift points as well as the speedo.

The gears that GEF sells are FRPP. In fact, I think that's where I got mine from when I got the 3.73's. They often have specials on targeted gearsets. 3.73's would probably be fine but since 3.27's are the stock ratio on the 99-up GT's I think that 3.55's would be a waste of time. JMHO, of course.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

Around 8/5/2003 10:34 AM, Johnny K spake thusly:

does, especially since most of their business is wholesale. However, their WA store is about 4 minutes from my house. :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Did I miss the part where you said it was an automatic????? perhaps I did............

Bill S.

Keith wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Bill,

Its in the title of the thread:

4.10 GEARS & EVERYTHING I need for the best possible install on 99 AUTOMATIC GT VERT?

Other than that, I didnt see it either,

Reply to
Shane Metzler

I never look at the titles, as I read them all anyway...............

Bill S.

Shane Metzler wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

That's ok Bill, you didn't need to read the title, just the first line of his message. Let me quote:

"I own a 99 GT Automatic Vert (aprox 55,000 miles) "

I'm pretty sure he didn't mean his convertible top was automatic. JK

Blue Gator

Reply to
Blue Gator

The crowd's getting pretty rough around here...

Reply to
Keith