4.6 Cams

Anyone here change hizzown cams hizzelf? Results?

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

Are you asking about the work itself or if the performance is improved? Timing the cams can be done without the special fixtures but even with the correct tool, removing and reinstalling the cam followers can be a PITA.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

Both. Cam changes in the older engines are usually very noticeable, but it seems to me that these need several things done at once to realize an improvement.

OK, thanks.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

Not being an engineer type, I'll offer up my homegrown opinion all the same. Since the fuel is sprayed at the back side of the intake valve, we don't have the problems associated with fuel dropping out of the intake charge but I'm sure we still need to be concerned with port velocity and boundary layer control (hence the long runner/short runner design for engines with IMRC).

Googling "flow test 4.6" delivered a couple of pretty interesting reads and indicates that we still need to be concerned about the whole package rather than just bolting stuff on willy-nilly. I think the guy that's going to win will be the guy that spent time planning his modifications together - old timey stuff like port matching and multi-angle valve jobs still helps.

I still get my jollies from big inch carbed engines so I wont be much help.... from what I can see, though, it can be tough separating fact from hype when we read the ads and reports..

Good luck

Reply to
Jim Warman

I put a set of VT Stage 2 NA cams in my mildly modified 4.6L. Results are VERY pleasing. Check my webpage for the dyno chart and mods. And I did do it myself. The cams are the easy part - the valvesprings are a bit on the annoying side. I managed to get into a groove and spent an average of 10-15 minutes per valve. A word of caution... people have had issues with Comp's

4.6L cams having out-of-spec base circles. Comp's unique ramp rates also can cause piston-to-valve contact on their wilder cams. I'm extremely impressed with the work VT has done.
(in case youwere going to ask)

I'm not in here much anymore, so an email might get me quicker if you have questions.

-Keith

Keith