4-speed tranny leaking

I have a '72 Mach 1 which at some point in it's life had the engine(and perhaps transmission) replaced with a 302. I noticed some dripping under the car, so when I went under I saw drops of oil where the driveshaft goes into the transmission. The oilpan seems to be dry on the outside, so I suspect the transmission is leaking. I bought some 80-90w oil and put almost a quart in the transmission before it got full. Is this transmission worth fixing? It seems to work, although it's a pain to get in and out of reverse. I don't really have many tools beyond a socket set right now; and I'm assuming I'd need to pull the engine to get the transmission out? Would I be better served to try to find a used transmission and just swap them out?

One other thing, I noticed that when the engine revs up over 3000 I hear a screeching sound. Below 3000rpm I don't notice it. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in, it does it even with the clutch in. Could it be just a belt? Water pump? Or something worse?

Thanks, Neil

Reply to
neildomo

Tailshaft seal. If it can be replaced from the outside of the trans it will be a simple repair. If the trans has to be pulled, it's still pretty easy to take care of.

Where is it coming from? sounds like a bearing somewhere.

Reply to
Brent P

Fixing the leak is easy. Just remove driveshaft, pop the leaking seal out with a fairly large screwdriver and reinstall a new one, with a hammer.Then reinstall the driveshaft. Depending on your mechanical ability, you should be able to complete this in about a half hour or less.

The screeching noise you hear is a loose or worn fan belt.

66StangMan
Reply to
66StangMan