5.0 Cam Timing Q

I have '89 Mustang GT with 5-speed transmission.

Does anyone know the factoring cam timing? I read somewhere that they were retarded by 8 deg.

Any suggestions on what to set it to with my new timing set? If I can make some improvements, I'd like more torque.

Thanks much! Dave

Reply to
Dave Wick

Factory timing is 10 degrees, you can push it to 12 or even 15 but detonation on cheap 87 gas could melt a piston. Best thing is to get a pro shop with a wideband tuner to set it up for you, they could squeeze out perhaps 20 hp, but you would have to run high test 93 all the time.

Reply to
noman

Never heard that one. But, then again, I havn't heard everything.

Anyway, if you want a little more torque, you could could advance the cam timing a few degrees. But, the differance is very small. And I wouldn't go more than

4 degrees.

You'll get better performance by changing rear gears. Or swapping in a new/better cam.

Reply to
.boB