5.0 crate into a 67 mustang

My son and I just stated this project..this is mostly info for others. I hope to upadate this thread as we go.

Picked up the new ford racing 5.0 (M-6007-XB3) yesterday and began getting it ready to put into a 67 mustang with a C-4. The motor comes in a big wooden crate that fits in the back of a pick-up truck with a camper shell..at over 400 pounds it's not lite...the two of us were able to get it un-crated and onto the engine stand with some muscle. We began to swap out a couple of the things that need to be switched..from the old motor to the new one The old timing chain cover and water pump..you will also need to addd the esentric for the mechanical fuel pump if your still going that route. The new motor comes with a 50 oz harmonic balancer with a built in pulley for sepentine belts...so we needed to scrounge up a new 50 oz with double v-belt pulleys..so off to the local auot wreckers I went today..I think I got the right one..out of a 85 Thunderbird..the new one (from the junk yard) has a single pulley that takes four bolts to hold it on..the problem is we need a double pulley..so back to the junkyard tomorrow..to see if I can find a double 4 bolt pulley. The motor comes un painted..the oil pan is painted black but the block and heads (aluminum) are unpainted..so last night he painted the block..old ford blue.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Alcocer

Make sure you pick up a 50oz imbalance flywheel/flexplate too. I did the opposite in installing an AOD on a '79 302 block. I just found a 28oz flywheel with the right diameter and tooth count. As a matter of fact I think the AOD and the C-4 are the same size except for the imbalance.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Mark..we've already ordered and recieved a 50 oz flex plate...157 tooth.. for the C-4...We have run into our first hurdle..We've been to the junk yard twice and can't seem to find the right double pulley to go with the 50 oz harmonic balancer that has a 4 bolt pattern...unlike the 28oz that has a 3 bolt pattern..lots of cars with 4 bolt serpentine pulleys but not many with v-belt pulleys..the closest was a quad pulley off a 77 lincoln town car..can't seem to find the right diameter or depth double pulley that we need so it looks like we're gonna bolt everything up to the front of the motor and then turn a double pulley from a chunk of 6" dia aluminum that I have...that way all the belts will line up for sure..(hopefully)

Tony

Reply to
Tony Alcocer

You can find a double pully if your patient enough. If your machining skills are good, go for it, otherwise try an after market set. You can also order a

50oz three bolt balancer from some leading aftermarket, restomod dealers like Mustangs Plus. Let me know what you figure out.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

My son got the old motor out yesterday and we were able to start getting the new one ready to go in today..We are using the old timing chain cover and the mechanical fuel pump..The pin in the end of the new motors cam is shorter then the old one..it came right out with a pair of vise grips..the eccentric was a little wide..and hit on the timing chain cover...so I turned it down about .375 of an inch..that gave use about a .25 clearance between it and the cover..and still left plenty for the fuel pump to operate with..the old pin was driven in just past flush with the eccentric. The new motor has alignment pins for the new style time chain cover..these pins come right out and are threaded deeper down in the hole which allows you to use all the bolt holes in the older timing chain cover. He's had an annoying little transmission leak for awhile now...we will be replacing the front seal and pressure checking his torque converter before we put the new motor in. Tony

Reply to
Tony Alcocer