5.0 EFI HO into 66 coupe

Hey everyone. Been working on this project for a long time, and I've reached a plateau.

Engine will crank all day but not run for more than one second or so. Did KOEO test, getting codes 23 67 81 82 85 87. Engine will crank and catch, idle for about 2.5 seconds tops, but never really what I'd call 'running.' Had quite a few puffs of white smoke, but I think that was from sitting for a quite a while and and a bit of starting fluid residue from starting attempts in the past.

One one crazy thing I'm seeing is when I crank the engine, it appears to rotating one direction, and when it actually 'catches' and runs for a second or two, it looks like it rotates the other direction, which just doesn't sound right to me. The starter is from a Mercury 5.0, different firing order, but that shouldn't matter, right?

--I had thought about the timing being too far adjusted, but thought if that was the case, the engine wouldn't start at all.

--Someone told me that I may have the wrong distributor in the engine. I know it came from a 5.0. The vanes inside the distributor tells the system when #1 is coming up, but it doesn't know the rest of the firing order, as far as I know.

Thanks in advance.

Gary in GA.

Reply to
gcroix

Firing order is determined by the camshaft, and the order the plugs wires are on the cap. Carefully trace the cables counterclockwise around the cap, and make sure you have the correct firing order. Remove the #1 spark plug. Place your thumb over the hole, and turn the engine clockwise with a ratchet. When the engine is on the compression stroke, you'll feel it on your thumb. Look at the timing marks on the balancer. You should be aproaching TDC. Stop turning the engine when the timing marks show about 10-12* BTDC. Make a mark on the distributer body where the # spark plug tower is. Remove the cap from the distributer. The rotor should be pointing at that mark. If it isn't R&R the distibuter until it is.

Reply to
.boB

Bob,

Are you the guy that gave me a fr>> Hey everyone. Been working on this project for a long time, and I've

Reply to
gcroix

"gcroix" wrote in news:DfLFh.3141$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe03.lga:

The HO version has a different firing order from normal engines. Maybe you have the firing order wrong. The distributor doesn't know anything about the firing order - this is determined by how you have the plug wires plugged into the cap.

Reply to
elaich

Oh, yeah, I know about the firing order. I know that isn't the problem.

Reply to
gcroix

Is there any chance the starter was rebuilt by a shop before you installed it?

What cam are you using?

It should be cranking/running clockwise as you view the water pump, CCW as you view the flywheel.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Nope....I took the starter off the donor Mercury myself.

Stock 5.0 Mustang cam. I got the long block from a 30K 93 Mustang.

I'm sure you mean the crank, right? Because my water pump spins the oppsite direction as the crank. But the crank does turn CW as it cranks, but when it catches, it DEFINITELY tries to run the other way...I must have my timing adjusted too far off, huh?

Gary

Reply to
gcroix

Yup, that was me. Did it fit?

Reply to
.boB

YES.

Rob

Because my water pump spins the oppsite

Reply to
trainfan1

"gcroix" wrote in news:I8MFh.3302$yi7.3117 @newsfe03.lga:

Check to see if the dizzy is 180 degrees out.

Reply to
elaich

Checked that just now. It is in the right spot. I adjusted it one tooth over and will put everything back together and try again.

Reply to
gcroix