5.0 Mustangs in the winter

I live in New Hampshire and I was wondering how the 5.0's preform for winter driving. I want to get an LX, and I would put sandbags in the back and snow tires on it. Right now I have a Saab that holds up pretty good in the winter.

Reply to
Mike

Right now I have a Saab that holds up

Apples and oranges. All I can say is snow tires, snow tires.....oh yeah, before I forget, snow tires You're going from a moderate-weight FWD to a light-in-the-rear RWD car with more HP. Not to ask a stupid question but have you driven a RWD vehicle in snow? If not you'll need to find the closest snow-covered parking lot. Too much gas around a corner and you'll find yourself looking at where you've just been.

Reply to
John

I second John's advice. Get good snow tires. Not necessarily studded ones, but good "snow" tires. Not all-seasons.. which are really only about 3 seasons. Have them mounted on different, cheap steel rims so you can swap them easily. Get 4, not 2... you'll need to steer too, right?

Put a little weight in the rear I guess... I've typically done without, but a little would probably help. Go find an empty snow covered lot, as John suggested, and practice spins. Practice getting into spins, practice getting out of spins. You can't possibly practice everything, but try to get the car going different directions, and then try to correct it. You'll not only learn what to do to correct a skid, but how to avoid doing it (by not doing the things that you did to induce it). You'll also have a little fun in the process.

Slow and steady works wonders in the snow. I'm not saying crawl at a snail's pace (unless conditions dictate), but no sudden moves. Don't hammer the throttle or the brakes, don't cut the wheel fast (as that's surely going to send you in a different direction).

Good luck.

JS

Reply to
JS

It's not that big a deal. FWD cars with ABS make it easier for people who don't know how to drive to get along. But for people who halfway know what they are doing, it really isn't any problem. I think it's marketing that makes people believe that they can't get along without FWD, AWD, or ABS. When I was in HS, I lived in upstate NY. It snowed all the time. I learned to drive in a full size Dodge Maxi-Van. No problems. Then I purchased a 1970 Ford Torino Cobra - 429, 4 speed, drag pack. Again, no problem. But the car you lust over and don't worry about it.

Reply to
boB

Mike opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

well, do like the others say, though I've gotten along fine in ohio's occasional snow with all-seasons..

but practice recovering from skids in a vacant parking lot or you will "preform" around a pole or a tree.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I haven't driven RWD in the snow before, but my friend who has a '97 stang told me it isn't very hard. Know any good brands of snow tires?

Reply to
Mike

It's all in how you drive it. I have went through 3 Missouri winters with a 92 hatch with big-n-littles on the front/back with no problem. If you are prudent and pay attention to what your doing they are fine. Did so in the 97 Cobra as well. Sure, performance tires are not optimal for winter driving but it CAN be accomplished with a little caution.

///Mike

1993 BMW 525i
of all the old cars
Reply to
TurboMike

I've have Blizzaks mounted on 15" steel rims for my 91 cougar XR7 5.0L My driveway goes uphill and they've been great. Car looks like crap with plain black rims but here in MA its for three, four, five months. I usually run 'em from December through March though I have been burned with those early late November and early April snows. I've also heard Artic Alpins are good.

Reply to
John

I've used Comp T/As year 'round here in the Philadelphia area. Of course, like I say, we have these big trucks with these plow things on them, and they generally do a good job of clearing the streets.

Must be different up there in New England. Maybe if you paid more in taxes...

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Last year, it seemed to snow here at about 6AM Monday morning before the plow guys got up and out almost twice a month... making for a hellish, unplowed commute to work. After they get out and working, they do a good job. I actually see more wrecks in a heavy rain on the PA Turnpike on my side of the state than I do during a heavy snow.

JS

Reply to
JS

Also become familliar with hitting neutral when stopping, and trying to get out of a slide. trying to stop while also 'going' can cause wierd things to happen. I was taught how to winter drive by a local cop who took me to the top of a fairly steep hill and said " drive forward, and don't wreck".

Eric G

Reply to
Eric Gironda

Or do what I do in the winter. Park it. Buy a Junky Volvo and drive that until April. Mike

Reply to
MikeG

Reply to
Mr. Ford

Fascinating.

I've driven my '93 5.0 all year every year since new. I'd swear it's much friskier in the cold. In fact, I know it is.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

And the laws of physics prove you right.

Reply to
Mark Conklin