5.0 parts in a 289

Howdy! I was wondering if it is possible to use the roller cam and lifters from a 5.0 mustang engine in my 289? If i did....are there any modifications that i need to make to the block? I dont want to put a

5.0 in the car. I like the 289 so please dont tell me to "just put a 5.0 in there".

Thank you in advance!

Reply to
Errol Smith

No. The bores in the block for the lifters are not tall enough. The roller cam uses a larger base circle diameter than the flat cams. The lifters rise up too high out of the 289 holes.

Crane and others sell "retrofit" roller cams that work in a 289 block. Go with one of those.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

With a retro-fit cam will the lifters and tie bars with the spider from a newer roller block work on a 289? Also I know that you need to install guide plates and hardened pushrods with this conversion, but what length do you need?

Thanks

Tue, 06 Apr 2004 02:20:01 GMT, "Kathy and Erich Co>No. The bores in the block for the lifters are not tall enough. The roller

Reply to
MJDJ

The roller and flat tappet cams use the same base circle. the roller lifters are taller do to the roller tip than a flat tappet so thats why they need an extended bore.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

At the very least you would need to drill and tap the block for the spider's mounting bolts. If you do this make sure you do not use bolts that are to long. The mounting hole locations are right above the second and forth cam bearing and if the bolts are to long they will pinch down on the bearing and cam making a big mess.

As for push rods its best to assemble the engine and check the length. There are to many variables that can effect the valve train geometry. Its not hard to do you just use an adjustable pushrod until you get the rocker rolling on the valve tip correctly and then lock it down. Disassemble and measure the adjustable pushrods length. Call the cam maker of your choice and order up a set.

I'm sure you can find a more detail description using Google or simular search engine.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Ahhh, ok...thank you for the advice. I looked at the Crane Cams retrofit kit and does anyone know what all comes in it? For 600 dollars, i was kinda hoping it would at least have the pushrods and rockers.

Reply to
Errol Smith