65 coupe conversion

I would like to convert a 65 - 6 cylinder coupe to a v-8 5 speed drive train. Is there a 80's mustang that would work well as a donor car. Thanks, Wendell

Reply to
wam

Wendell,

Since your going to be adding in more weight, and more muscle to the

6 cyl car, your going to find it more economical to sell the car and buy an original V8 car............Suspension, brakes, cooling system, motor, transmission, rear end all will need to be upgraded from the 6cyl car................

Bill S.

wam wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

You've actually got two projects in one going in there. The first one would be converting the 6 cyl to an 8. If it were a swap between vehicles of the same year ('65) you could go here

to get an idea of whats needed. The second project would be putting a later model, probably fuel-injected, engine in there.
would be a good starting point for information on putting a later model engine in the car, to give you some idea of what you'd be getting into, although I think they expect the baseline car to already be a V8. So what you'd essentially be doing is upgrading the car to handle the V8, and then upgrade to the late model V8. You'd need to research both processes to avoid unnecessary rework or replacement. If you like to challenge your skills and patience, this sounds like an excellent way to do it. :) Good luck!

Reply to
RayS

Actually, this job just got a lot easier. There's an aftermarket company (can't remember the name right now) that makes a bolt on kit to convert to R&P steering that uses the spindles, brakes, struts, etc, from a 93-96 Mustang. So if you buy a 5.0 car and this kit you'll have every part you'll need. I'm thinking of doing this to my '66 after I finish my Cobra. Think about it: A/C, Power R&P, EFI, 5 speed, power disc brakes. Pretty cool.

Reply to
.boB