'65 Fastback Rear Seat Installation

I'm reinstalling the interior of my fastback. I dismantled it almost

20 years ago. Yeah, one of those long drawn out restorations.

Anyway, I'm trying to install the rear "shelf" unit. It's the part of the fold down rear seat that's closest to the "trap door" near the trunk. I can't figure out how this attaches to the car. If there are any books or photos that'd help, please let me know. Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Steve Battles

I was just checking this last night for my 68 fastback. If you can get the September 1986 issue of Mustang Monthly it shows it in there. The rear shelf has two tabs that slide under the brackets at the rear corner of the interior. The panel is then screwed down through the back and front corners. The back corners are those two metal inserts where the seat would rest on when it's upright. The front corners appear to just have a bolt that screws down into the support that holds the center panel hinge.

Hope I explained that okay. I'm modifying mine because instead of carpet, I've padded my panels and then covered them in vinyl that matches the leather seats. I don't want any inserts or bolt heads showing in the panels. So, I need to hide the bolts by coming from underneath. Nothing like redesigning Ford's engineering. LOL

Reply to
Laurie S.