65 Mustang Brake ??

I just bought a 65 Mustang That has been in storage for 15 years. It is in real nice shape has had exelent care. It has a 200-6 that runs perfect. My question is is there any one put disk brakes on the front using the 4 lug 13 inch wheels. I put new shoes allthe way around and had drums turned. But it still don't stop that good. I bought a new Mustang in Dec. 1964 and my wife thought she would like another one. Thanks for any help

Reply to
studeluver

The problem with the 4 lug 13 inch wheels is being able to clear calipers and rotors. Any rotor that would fit would be too small to get the better performance you are looking for. I doubt any such system exists for a mustang.

If you want to upgrade to disk you'll probably need to get at least 14in

5 lug wheels.
Reply to
Brent P

Thanks for the information I just bought new tires. So I guess i will wait till get some miles on them and then trade. I hope I can trade rear axels with 5 lug in my rearend without changeing rear ends ..

Reply to
studeluver

Do a Google search. Very common upgrade.. What you'll end up with, if you want to keep it all based on Ford OEM, is essentially the braking gear from a 76 Grenada.

That way you will always be able to buy parts at most part stores

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

You might also contact some of the leading aftermarket brake people (SSBC, Baer, etc) tell them what you have, and what you want to do. Nearly every company I have dealt with has been very good about helping the customer.

You will want to go to a dual reservoir for safety. And you don't need to put disc on the rear.

Reply to
veeger