66 289 torque HELP????? A.S.A.P., please!!!!!!!!

We weren't able to find a book for this car, quick question, can anyone PLEASE tell me the torque for the rocker arms on a 66 mustang 289????? Thx Kelly *growing grays in Jax*

Reply to
KellyJ

The shop manual indicates 60-70 ft.-lbs.

Reply to
Nevadan

Glad a friend came thru with a book, so you know torque on rockers for a 66

289 is 17-23. Thanks for the quick response all the same tho. Kelly *who isn't so gray now*

Reply to
KellyJ

Wow...I don't know where the 60-70 ft/lbs came from......kinda much for a

5/16 thread. Just kinda proves you need to be sure of "internet facts".

When we are dealing with old technology motors, we can survive with SAE torque specs for the bolt size and thread pitch..... bolting cast iron to cast iron is a no brainer..... When we deal in dissimilar metals, where clamping force is a big deal, we can get exotic....

By and large, we can rely on the SAE charts for many fastening specs with little trouble.... By no means definitive,

is a pretty decent guideline whenall else fails. Be aware that manuals are written by human beings.... it isimportant to look up disassembly and assembly data but it is more importantto realize that the manual is compiled and printed by editorial people....we need to use some common sense to see when the BS hit the book...... oh,God... I'm sorry... I forgot - everyone else is perfect and techs are theonly f*ck ups in this life.... In my day job, I can think of ever so many times that I "listened" to the manual when I shouldn't have and didn't check the manual when I should have. Seems to escape most folks that the modern automoblis is easily the single,. most complicated piece of equipment they will be involved with. The PC on your desk is an abacus compared to a modern car....

for those that haven't figureout search engines yet....

Reply to
Jim Warman

In terms of raw computing power, the PC still wins, hands down, but in terms of inputs and outputs that the equipment must deal with and everything that needs to be precise in order for the system to function, I agree completely. It's amazing to think of all the things that the PCM is responsible for, and how reliable it must be. I'm sure most have seen the "if cars ran like Windows" jokes floating around the internet, but the truth is, if the car PCM had to be rebooted as much as your Windows box, you wouldn't be very safe nor get very far. In my years of playing with Fox Mustangs, I've seen all of two EEC-IV failures. In that time, I've passed many PCs down the line or just to the trash.

JS

Reply to
JS

Reply to