'66 broken motor mount

I had the driver's side motor mount repaired on my daughter's '66 mustang. Within 30 days the motor mount broke (the original passenger side mount didn't break). When mount broke, the engine torqued, ruined the brand new radiator, and the new paint job on the hood.

After the new motor mount was replaced my daughter notices the car was hard to get in reverse. She didn't mention it to me because she figured the car was 40 years old...

I need to know if the transmission problem could be related to the original work on the motor mount and what other stuff might have been damaged when the motor mount broke.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...vbrink

Reply to
vbrink

AT? MT?

Could just be linkage/shifter

Reply to
Brent P

Think *** clutch linkage *****

And tell your daughter that the idea is that the car doesnt ACT 40 years old... not an excuse for ignoring problems.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Assuming that this car has a manual tranny, carefully check the pivot point on the clutch linkage. One side pivots on a ball-and-socket on the engine and the other side pivots on a ball-and-socket on the frame. This piece is probably bent or these ball and socket pivot points have some white plastic inside of them that is probably wore out or broke when the motor moved up. I think some aftermarket suppliers probably sell this by now.

Reply to
Kruse

If it's an automatic, the relation of the engine to the chassis may have changed. Readjust the shifter linkage.

Reply to
Mark C.

It's an AT. It's back at the shop that replaced the motor mount. The motor mount, radiator, and paint job are being replaced under 'insurance' from I suppose the motor mount manufacturer or maybe the shop? I'm paying to have the other motor mount replaced. I'm more worried other stuff was ruined when the engine torqued. Any other thoughts?

I agree with you Krusty. My poor daughter really likes cars but her dad has zippo car interest and my dad passed on all his car knowledge to my brother --- drat.

Reply to
vbrink

I had a left one that was broke once years ago. The fan cut the upper radiator hose and the clutch linkage came apart at the equalzer bar. I just can't imagine the engine lifting high enough to damage the hood! Nor have I ever seen a new mount that was defective enough to completely separate.

Amazing...

Reply to
deadcarnahans

Lucky you!

Cant hurt... but little effect if it does break, consider rotation

Eh... you'll find out soon enough

Never too late for the inquisitive and interested, if not.. where does brother live? That's what family's for.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The motor mount completely separated. The damage to the hood was from the fan -- little swipe marks in the paint but the metal was not damaged. I believe the repair shop isn't contesting the repair cuz' its so obviously the manufacture's fault. (They know her dad is an attorney - maybe that's the other reason...) But I do need to know what else to make sure they check that could be related to the motor torqueing...

Brother lives 300 miles a way in a world of his own which is much more than 300 miles away...

Reply to
vbrink

So... that would be 300 squared then, ie, on Mars.

Yep, handing 'em a card ending in ; esq. cant hurt!

Cheers... if she's young and bright, she can study up, herself!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic