66 C4 green dot valve body?

Bought the car from under a tree. Got the engine running ok, and replaced a clutch pack and bands in teh tranny.

Won't engage in any forward gears, reverse works great.

I know the PO did a lot of stupid things with/to the car, and I am now suspecting that he lost some parts from the valve train.

Question: is there supposed to be checkballs in the stock valvebody? If so, where? What size? I found none.

Anyone have a valvebody for sale? Stock or aftermarket, as long as it is complete and works. And is cheap. I'd rather not waste money on this tranny because it won't stay there forever, but I do ant the damn thing driveable.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Jan, Check to make sure you installed the valve body correctly. Theres a shift input plunger in the valve body (the largest) that the shift lever engages in the last groove. It's entirely possible to install the valve body without it engaging so it would cause the symptoms you described. just take off the pan again (ugh, messy) and shine a flashlight up where the shift lever is inside the trans. It should move the plunger in and out of the body when you move the lever. Also make sure the kick down lever pushes a smaller spring loaded plunger into the body. The smaller plunger is right next to the shift input plunger.

Mark

Reply to
Mark C.

I have had the entire thing apart 3 times, I'm pretty sure I got those right. I 'll doublecheck anyway, the next time I work on the car. Not knowing what should be there or how the parts should look like when everything is like it's supposed to, makes it easy to troubleshoot it. How do I know if I'm missing parts, if they are not there? I hate previous owners.

Jan

Mark C. wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson