'66 Electrical question

The electrical system died last week while driving home from work. So I figure I'll take out the alt, regulator, and battery and have them tested. I suspect it's the alt. Hard to say since the ammeter hasn't worked in many years. However, when I removed the regulator, I found something I couldn't identify. Hanging off the yellow wire and bolted to the fender apron is something that looks like an overgrown condenser. It's round, about

1.75 long, and has a mounting tab. There is one wire going into it, which happens to be corroded and loose. What is this? And what does it do? My schematic shows it, but doesn't identify it. And I can't find anything like it in my parts catalogs. My schematic also shows something similar hanging off the back of the alternator, but I don't have one. Again, what is it and what does it do?
Reply to
.boB

Its the radio interference suppressor.

Reply to
Mustang_66

Is the one off the back of the alternater the same thing?

Reply to
.boB

Yep. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Thanx a lot, StuK. You've been a great help. Tomorrow I'll drop by local parts store(s) and see if I can find a couple of them. Who knows, maybe my radio will work better!

Reply to
.boB