'66 mustang - help!

Once again, I'll ask whether anyone can recommend a reliable and honest Mustang mechanic in the SF Bay Area, preferably on the Peninsula. I'm starting to get desperate.

Reply to
rw

One thing I don't like about this car is that it's an automatic. On modern cars I prefer automatic to manual, but not on this one. The 289 engine is so powerful and the transmission is so crude that I feel like I have to keep extreme pressure on the brakes to avoid running into something from a dead stop. Maybe the transmission is not right. I don't know.

Is it a really big deal to convert it to a manual transmission?

Reply to
rw

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
David E Willson

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
David E Willson

The 289

Your car has the Ford C4, a very good automatic transmission even by today's standards (except only three forward speeds and no lockup converter of course).

The torque converter on these cars seem to have a very low stall speed, so excessive idle speed can cause difficulty in holding the car still with drum brakes in need of attention. I had the exact same problem, and the transmission wasn't the problem. After rebuilding the carb (so it would idle on it's own) and brakes, the problem was gone.

John

66 2+2
Reply to
John Del

Drum brakes actually take less affort to hold a car still. the design of drum brakes naturally aides in braking effort. The only downside to drum brakes is that they will hold in heat, and water if they are submerged.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Any Car is only as safe as the driver...??? Hmmmmm SUVs will roll over if you make hard turn at 65 or 70 mph on any road condition (seen it done on a dry four lane freeway... My 93 Explorer caught fire under the dash while driving down the road..seen a Pinto get rear ended at about 50 mph and the driver of the Pinto walked away and there was no explosion of the gas tank... and just a few months ago I saw a newer Volvo (safest car on the road ) So they claim... get hit on the right front fender when a Chevy S10 ran a light moving about 30 mph or so and the driver of the Volvo was transported with massive head injuries ...seat belts ? My 16 year old daughters 89 Cadi Fleetwood ( No Bags ) was totaled when hit on the right front fender by a full size Bronco, her nor her 3 friends had seat belts on (Already put FOOT to ASS for that one ) they only had minor bumps and bruises.... She took her insurance money and bought a 73 Mustang Grande... Big, Real Steel, (I mounted the front seats of a 96 ford Probe and new seat belt system) but other than that I feel she's safer in it than a little Jap inspired car, like the ones I drive. TEACH YOUR KIDS HOW TO DRIVE ... Wide angle vision...always know what's around you and keep your distance Drive safe...............................

Reply to
Smoothys