'66 rear suspension

The Cobra is off to the paint shop, so it was time to work on the Mustang. A couple of years ago I rebuilt the front end with a Magnum suspension kit from Mustangs Plus. Quality parts, reasonable price. The car had sat for many years, so it really needed it. But I didn't spend the time to do the rear, even though I had the parts. The springs were original, and the Monroe shocks were not that old. But you could see that it was sagging a little. So a couple of weeks ago I ordered some sub frame connectors and traction bars, and went to work. It took me a few days to get the entire job done: shocks, springs, shackles, connectors, traction bars. The connectors were a bolt in design, but I welded them in anyway. The traction bars are the original Shelby design, with a weld on bracket in the front. I'm not a very good welder; it's not pretty, but it gets the job done. I finished last night, and went for a short drive. WOW! What a huge differance. It's a whole new car now. I knew the ride would be improved, but I had no idea how much! I did so much at once, it's impossible to tell what each item did specifically. And at this point, I doubt I'm making enough power for the traction bars to really function. But it's a huge differance. I'm going to have to learn to drive this car all over again. It brakes and accelerates in an arrow straight line, absolutly no wander. And taking corners is a whole new experiance. If you havn't done this yet, you need to get out there and get to work. Now I'm wishing I had done this years ago.

Next step, Mustang II front end????

Reply to
boB

boB wrote

If you're driving a stick and you're getting no wheel hop when you dump the clutch, the traction bars are making a difference. I did my '70 Cougar more piecemeal and I found the biggest single difference was the frame connectors, followed by KYB Gas-A-Just shocks and five-leaf springs.

If you have not done the Shelby drop, you should. Basically free, if you already own the necessary drill bits. There is no point to doing an M-II conversion other than to run a big block or mod motor.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out