67' 289 exhaust/heads question

i just bought a 67' mustang. i have no idea what i am doing but i am slowly learning how to work on it. when i took on trying to design the engine (289) i ran into the problem of finding parts that are all compatible with each other. i am building the engine as a street/strip car so i am looking to put all the bolt on performance parts on there. is there a cheaters list online somewhere i can look at online or in a book maybe? i am concentrating on exhaust and heads at the moment but any information that i might get is welcome.

Reply to
mowgly

I've seen a couple of books listed on vendor sites about doing what you want to do. The 289, with some minor changes, is the engine Shelby used for racing which blew away the competition. And there's much more you can do to it. Like a Paxton supercharger Novi 1200 maybe. Change the points to elctronic, hotter coil, better plug wires. :0) 347 kit?

In addition to books mentioned, some of the articles in Mustang Monthly, Mustang and Fords, etc, list what was done to the cars depicted. Also, there have been articles which dealt specifically with building up the 289. You might try their tech pages or back issues.

Reply to
veeger

hey thank you for the info. as far the ignition i have started that i have the rest of my MSD ignition setup coming in a couple days. i got some books but most of the technical lingo i read from them is still a foreign language to me. i am sure i will catch on though.

what is this 347 kit you speak of?

Reply to
mowgly

"mowgly" wrote in news:1164232852.959886.26950 @l39g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

347 stroker kit. I'd use a 302 block for that - it has more beef than the 289 block.
Reply to
elaich