67 cougar part 2

Thanks for the info. I stumbled across this car in a junkyard. I asked how much as a joke. I already had 3 F100's at the house. The guy said if I could get it out by that evening I could have it for $5.00. We towed it home that afternoon. It has all the original interior, only headliner has small holes at attachment points. All glass is perfect, no chips, all chrome trim is there. both cougar floormats were under some trash. Only thing missing was the tranny &driveshaft, and all front wheel hardware, just bare spindles. Original 289 2bbl is being rebuilt. Odometer shows 53,000. Not bad for $ 5.00 !! Thinking about the 390 in my 68 p/u that needs a home.....

Later

Mr ecw.

Reply to
mr ecw

Wow... that's like winning the lottery... but that just sounds TOO good!

"mr ecw" wrote in news:dk6k28$bjl$ snipped-for-privacy@home.itg.ti.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

It's true. the car was missing the tranny and drive shaft, and all front wheel hardware was gone. Just the bare spindles, hence the question about brakes. It was covered in tree sap, leaves and other car parts, but was in good shape once cleaned up. I did sales for a auto paint and body shop supplier so I can fix the exterior. Inside was filled with newspapers and dead Q-jet carbs ( 9 total ). The Factory AM radio and all interior components work. I was VERY lucky. I have a 68 F100 that took a hit in the back end. It has a fresh 390 and C6 that was rebuilt less than year ago and run strong. I keep thinking about swapping out the 289 for now and replacing it later after it is rebuilt. Not sure how easy or safe this would be.

Later, Mr ECW.

Reply to
mr ecw

Easy? The '67 had a 390/C6 as an option, so you'd be dealing only with factory parts to make the switch. Brakes, everybody's got a disk brake conversion kit. The '67 had an available dual reservoir master cylinder with power booster, which is as good as it gets, and again you'll be dealing with factory parts to get there. You don't really need to swap out the 8" axle, depending on how built your 390 is and how hard you intend to push it.

The Cougar of course has the headlight doors and the sequential turn signals to add complexity, but it's a well-traveled path. Complete interior kits are available too.

You didn't mention rust repair, but you need to check out the cowl vents for leaks -- almost guaranteed that you'll find some -- and the floor pans for rust through, particularly the front seats. The front and rear corners of the doors bubble up, and so do the rear edges of the front fenders and the front edges of the rear quarters. Trunks aren't as big a rust problem as with other makes, probably because the gas tank is the trunk floor and they're galvanized.

Anyway, I'm always saying that the true value of most any project core is actually a negative number when measured against the market value of that car in #2 condition minus what it costs to get a core from here to there. You're lucky to be one who bought right. Now the challenge is to keep it from going upside down on you. Almost impossible to do, even when you start out at $5.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote

Heh... they're only 'upside-down' when the owner THINKS they are. Otherwise they are value for money... because the work that goes into a classic can never be applied as a monetary value.

Look at SN65 as an example... NO way that's EVER gonna get payback, but there's probably AT LEAST 5000 folks who would love to have been able to do that!

Backyard Mechanic

Interior is in great shape. Just six small holes in the headliner.( where the rods connect I think.) Headlight doors move easily and feel like they are holding a vaccuum. After grounding the seq.turn signal unit, after getting the crap shocked out of me, they worked fine also. The rear quarters are well "ventilated" but, I can do body work. It was originally white, but someone painted it maroon and silver. I've got at least 6 gallons of gloss black, but body work has to be perfect with black paint. I think it would look good with the black interior and black outside. We aired up the orginal tires on the back last April and they are still holding air. The kids at Discount tire didn't understand the tire size. Will need new wheels, just plain as I have 3 of the original hubcaps with the cougar in the center. Lots of work ahead, I'll try to post some pics, when I'm not at work.

Thanks for the info and feedback.

Mr ECW

67 cougar 68 F100 70 F100

Reply to
mr ecw

(snip)

Did Cougar use the same tanks as Mustangs? I know 65 Mustangs had a problem with rust through from moisture in the trunk rusting through the floor which was the tank top. The top of the tank sat in a little depression which was perfect for water collecting like when you put groceries in when it was raining/snowing. Northwest was bad that way. and caused me to have to replace the tank on mine. Topping off the tank led to fuel seeping through the small holes.

Reply to
Spike

yes. and any early cougar owner should do himself a favor and swap out the tank for that off a 70 Mustang for a full 22 gallons.

Reply to
vince garcia

Have not made that swap, but have considered it for the extra fuel on trips.

Reply to
Spike