67 Mustang

We have a 67 Mustang in need of a rear end. Will a rear end from a 74 Maverick bolt up to the 67? Please help.

Monica

Reply to
plasticnut

Why not just repair the rear-end that you've got? Other than seals and gears, there isn't much there to go wrong. What happened to the old one?

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Oh...almost forgot...

No, I don't think it would be a bolt-on affair.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

The 67 Mustang is a 6 cyclinder with a 4 lug rearend. The Maverick rearend is a 8 inch and a 5 lug rearend.

Reply to
plasticnut

Measure from the brake backing plate on one side to the brake backing plate on the other side of each rear end. Then measure the distance between the spring stands on each rear end. If they are the same, then you could make that swap work.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Thanks, I'll go that route.

Reply to
plasticnut

You are welcome.

Keep in mind that the pinion/U-joints may not be the same As long as the spring stands are the right width, you can get by with some small overall width differences.

Depending on your welding skills/determination, if the overall housing is the right width, you could move the spring stands...

Post back and let us know how it turns out.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

The Maverick rear will bolt right in, as would a unit from a Granada. The spring centers are the same but the overall width is about 1" less, moving your wheels in .5" on each. The big problem is the stock wheels. The center pilot diameter is larger on the later rears axle flange. So an early five lug wheel will not fit. You don't care since you had four lugs to begin with. Simply use the Maverick wheel or a mag.

You can swap the front end components for five lug wheels also. Later Mavericks and Granadas had front disk brakes whick bolt right onto the early cars. I've done this swap more than once. It's a cheap easy way to upgrade your car, especially if you are thinking about converting to a V-8

Enjoy...

Reply to
deadcarnahans

Or, just drop out the 8" centercection and swap it only. Assuming that the four lug rear is also an 8" unit. The options are endless!

Reply to
deadcarnahans