'67 Mustang Electrical Problems

About a month ago, my '67 Mustang convertible decided not to start anymore. First thing that happened... when I turned the key to start her up, the starter solenoid went "pop" in a flash of light and a bit of smoke. I figured the solenoid was fried, and got a new one. Turned the key and got the same thing: it went "pop" in a flash of light and a bit of smoke. Worried now, I took everything apart and dug through all the wires to see what was up. I couldn't find anything obvious, such as grounded, damaged, or bare wires. So, I got solenoid #3 and went to install it. Now, I get absolutely nothing in terms of electrical. If I turn the key to the ACC position on the ingition, I get dim lights on all gauges and the radio... then brighter lights... then dimmer lights... then brighter lights... then nothing. When I turn the key, I don't get anything from the solenoid... no click, nothing. Obviously, the car won't start at all. Any thoughts out there?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Vitas

Bob Vitas wrote in news:Q64_g.1208$337.1106 @southeast.rr.com:

Your starter was shorted out. Had it happen myself on a Galaxie. On mine, the solenoid fused, and the battery cables began to melt. I wrenched off the ground cable before more damage was done. You have probably fried a fusible link. I don't know where it's located on a '67 Mustang, but my Galaxie has one from the hot post on the solenoid going to the alternator. It's a wire with a flat spot on it with the words "fusible link" stamped in. Look for something similar.

Reply to
elaich