67 Mustang won't start

About a month ago my 67 mustang GT just stopped turning over. The battery is good. It was in hurricane season so it was humid but i didn't think it could cause any damage. When I turn the key it does absolutely nothing.

the headlights come on bright and the radio plays but there is not even a peep from the engine at all.

Please I need help!!!

Reply to
Gaje12

starter Bendix is likely the problem.

Reply to
Les Benn

Good possibility. Try hitting the starter with a hammer a couple of times. No kidding. Otherwise check the battery cables for corrosion. There may be enough juice getting through to run the accessories, but not enough to start the engine.

Reply to
goodnigh

that is what I vote for, clean them off really good. Especially after a few months

Reply to
louis

Especially check were the cable attaches. When you start twisting the clamp and cable around, all this green powder falls out :) What looks to be intact can be deceiving and it does not take much juice to run a headlight.

Reply to
goodnigh

Change it all out... it's cheap to do on a '67... I know. Solenoid, cables, wires, starter, betcha the whole thing takes one hour and under $100. We're literally talking a few screws here. And do the wires and cap and rotor while you're at it. It WILL start then and run like a dream.

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

The two biggest consumers of electric in a car are the starter and the horn, either one, can kill a battery very quickly. Most people think that the alternator is the problem, usually it is the starter or a short in the horn that kills a battery. with a voltmeter, you can check the alternator. it should read somewhere near 14 volts at idle. If lights work and horn then start suspecting the starter. In some cars changing a starter is a piece of cake, with others require you to be a bit of a contortionist to get to the bolts. Any good Auto Parts store will do a current draw test for a starter for free. If the starter is dead or dieing it is best to just replace it or rebuild it. If you have a car with a difficult to remove starter, I recommend buying one from the manufacturer, since some car parts starters are not of good quality.

Reply to
Les Benn

Thanks yall.

I got it working.

gotta love the old muscle!!!!

Reply to
Gaje12

What did you end up doing? How did you fix it? We gotta know.

Reply to
goodnigh

Yes, we do!

Reply to