68 Mustang Temperature Gauge Help

Hi Everyone, I just bought a 68 Mustang 289 8 cyl. convertible. This is my first mustang. After driving the car for 15 minutes the gauge goes all the way to hot. I changed the water pump, thermostat, and the temperature switch. The funny part is the car doesn't seem to be running hot. I have a 12 pound cap on the radiator and coolant doesn't overflow into the reservoir. With the cap off I could see the coolant start to "swirl" when it gets hot meaning the thermostat and water pump must be working. Help! What else should I do.

Reply to
Armo4life19

Put a temerature probe into the radiator with the engine at operationg temperature. Be careful not to let the probe stem touch anything metal, this will give you true coolant temperature. The temp sending unit maybe bad. The radiator may have a problem. Does it have a fan shroud? I'm not that up to speed on the early mustangs like that but how are the rest of the guages when the temp guage runs hot? Possibly someone can tell us if those cars had a 'cluster regulator'.

just a few thoughts

/me

Reply to
Mustang GT

Sounds like the gauge may be bad, or you could have a blown head gasket or a cracked head or block. Have you used a mechanical gauge to verify what the factory gauge is telling you????

Bill S.

Armo4life19 wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

I had the same problem on my 67 convertible. Is the fuel gauge working correctly? I had the problem that I'd disconnected the fuel sender wiring, and this adversly affects the voltage going into the temperature gauge. I would say it's an electrical fault rather than mechanical. Try changing the voltage regulator behind the dash panel, and check the wiring and connections while you're there. Replacements can be purchased from pretty much any Mustang parts dealer.

Good luck

"Armo4life19" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m18.aol.com...

Reply to
elmo

Yes, they do have a cluster regulater. But all gauges run through the same one.

It's probably a bad gauge/sender/circuit. Look in the service manual and you'll find test procedures for both gauge and sender.

Reply to
.boB

Forgot to say - before you start stripping your dash, just check the wiring and connections for the fuel gauge first!!! (sorry)

"elmo" a écrit dans le message de news: bk6pql$4vb$ snipped-for-privacy@news-reader1.wanadoo.fr...

Reply to
elmo