69 mach 1 Owners, hood scoop question

Just want to know from people who have seen it with their own 2 eyes. Not from what people have read. Was the factory hood scoop on the 69 mach 1 functional? by that ofcourse i mean was there a hole in the hood to the engine compartmant under the scoop? If not functional was the scoop bolted onto the hood as a seperate piece? Ive seen pics and read things that conflict so just want to know for sure since Im putting one on my car.

Thanks,

Reply to
Jack Napier

FYI:

The 1969 Mach 1 and GT models featured a non-functional hood scoop with integral directional signal lights and side emblem indicating CID of engine.

The "Shaker" hood scoop was standard on the 428SCJ model. The "Shaker" was optional on the Mach 1 and 428CJ models.

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

My first Mustang was a '69 FB GT; functionally a Mach I. Everyhting I read told me the hood scoop was non functional; it was merely a bolt on doo-dad that looked good. However, my hood had a big hole through through it. The edges were painted at the factory, so I know it wasn't a previous owner. The only thing that made it non-function was a small piece of fiberboard behind the chrome grill of the scoop. I removed it, and the scoop was fully functional. The scoop was simply bolted to the hood, though.

Reply to
boB

"boB" wrote

Damn, You have any idea how RARE those are now these days!?!?! I've only seen one ever! And it went to sale for about $5K MORE than a concours Mach

1.
Reply to
66 6F HCS

As I recall, there were only about 7,000 or so made. They are pretty rare. But the reason for that is that they didn't sell. Everybody wanted the Mach 1 because they looked better. I got mine from the original owner in '85.

Reply to
boB

I met a fellow with a Raven Black '69 GT convertible original 428CJ car. Now that is the rare of the rare! StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

FYI: According to "Mustang Buyers Guide", 4,973 GTs were sold in 1969.

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C featur> > "boB" wrote

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

i got my aftermarket scoop last night, it has the turn signal lenses and the removable plastic wall behind the grill that will make it functional.

one more question, where the mach 1 scoops bonded to the hood with anything? paint? filler? sealer? and if so where there any problems after time with cracking from the heating and cooling???

thanks,

Reply to
Jack Napier

On my '69, it was bolted to the hood, not bonded. There should be four (or six?) studs on the bottom of the scoop. Just drill matching holes in the hood.

Reply to
boB

i know they are bolted, i just ment was there a coat of paint going between the hood and the scoop that would crack? or were they painted seperately and you can see the seem between them???

Reply to
Jack Napier

No, it was just bolted on. Not even any weatherstripping.

Reply to
boB

cool. ok one last question!

could someone measure and tell me . from the very front side tip of the scoop back to the front of the cid emblem on the scoop?

thanks a ton!

Reply to
Jack Napier