69 mustang fastback

I have found a 69 mustang fastback, it is in pieces since the guy took it apart and realized it was in need of alot of work he didn't have time for, it has the original 289 in it, all the parts are there, but the windows were left down and there is water damage, he wants $1200 for it does anyone think it is worth that, or should I pay less?

Any help would be appreciated!

Reply to
chris serbus

69 mustang didn't come with a 289. You sure it's not a 302?

Otherwise, any fastback that looks like it's restorable without major surgey is worth $1200. Sounds like a good deal

Reply to
vince garcia

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

The 289 CID engine was not available in the 1969 model year. Check the VIN for the engine code. The 1969 Mustang model year offered 9 different engine options - the most of any model year. The available 8-cylinder engines in

1969 are as follows:

302 2V - F code Boss 302 - G code

351W 2V - H code 351W 4V - M code 428CJ - Q code 428CJ Ram Air - R code 390 - S code Boss 429 - Z code
Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

Might be. How much work does it actually need? The big question is how much rust does it have.

Reply to
.boB

Reply to
Claud Spinks

It either doesn't have a 289 or it's not original or it's not a '69.

Reply to
Brent P

Reply to
John Smith

the car itself has no rust its originally from arizona the title says its a

69 mustang fastback motor is a 289, the only bad part on the body is the rear fender, looks like somebody hit it lightly no internal body damage, the floor needs to be redone due to water damage, all original parts are in a huge box, the only bad part was a cracked taillight, the windows don't roll up, but other than that pretty easy fix just need parts to update suspension and brakes, the motor runs, it has about 55,000 miles on it so I think I will end up buying it anyways, and if I get it all ripped apart since I will be doing a frame off restoration and feel that its too much work I will let you all know

Thank you for the input! let you know if I come across a problem!

Reply to
chris serbus

in '69 it was 'sportsroof', meaningless I know.

1969 engine options: were 200,250,302,351,390,428.

Something is in error. Check the vin and the engine itself to see what you have.

Reply to
Brent P

Post some pics of the Mustang when you get a chance, this site is easy to use

Rico

Reply to
Rich

I will get some photos as soon as possible, the only question I have now is how hard is it to swap the motor with a 429 thunder jet motor?

Reply to
chris serbus

Why a 429? If you're gonna go through the trouble of making a 385 series engine fit why not do a 460? They are cheap and plentiful.

Don't underestimate the 289 though. 289s love to rev. A stock bottom end can take 7000 RPM. Build it for RPM, back it with a toploader, and put some

4.11s in the rear and you've got one sick 'stang!

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

How much horsepower do you think I can get out of that 289 motor?

Reply to
chris serbus

How much money do you want to spend?

Reply to
351CJ

How do you intend to use the car?

A friend vintage races his Shelby GT350. His 289 puts out 425 ponies. It is NO fun to drive in traffic tho.

300 to 325 horses will be very streetable. I am talking crank hp above. Here is a link to some dyno results.
Kathy and Erich Coiner

I want about 300 to 400 horsepower out of it if possible, with a supercharger, something I can use on the street and something I can use at the local 1/4 mile strip.

Reply to
chris serbus